International Poligamy

Status
Not open for further replies.

German

Hi there,

My husband and I have been married for 8 years with children. We are now separated. I live in Germany, he lives in another country. He got married there (our US marriage is not recognized there) and has another child. He took all of our money and put it on relatives names. Since our marriage is not recognized in the place where the money is, I have no chance to get some of it. I assume since it's not within the US, the US law would not be granted, if I was to file for divorce through the US, since he is US citizen. I feel trapped, he wants to divorce but I would not see any of our money. He then would be free to file for residency in the US for his new wife. Do I have any options at all??

thanks

Talk to a divorce lawyer. Noone here is an expert on international divorce. Here's my two cents anyways:
I assume since it's not within the US, the US law would not be granted, if I was to file for divorce through the US, since he is US citizen.
I'm not sure what that means. I would strongly suggest you talk to a divorce lawyer in the state you were married or resided. You might still be subject to its divorce laws, and you might be able to divorce him there and claim whatever assets or support you are entitled to through the US judicial system.

Alternatively, you may be able to divorce him in Germany (which I assume recognizes your US marriage as valid) and claim whatever assets you are entitled to through the German legal system. You can then get a court judgment for that amount, and take steps to try to enforce that judgment against his US assets or in whatever jurisdiction he lives in now.

At the very least, you can probably make his life difficult, and it should be worth something to him to make this potential headache go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back