Intent to return to a job a legal document?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyde76

My wife is a teacher (High School) in Orange, CA. At the end of her school year she signed a letter of intent to return to the school next year. She did this with the intention of finding another job but having this old job to fall back on if she was unable to find a new one.

The document does not look like a legal document. I can post the contents of the document if necessary.

She has since found a new, much better, teaching job. She's been told however, that the school district is so worried about losing teachers that they are using this letter of intent to return to sue teachers to force them to stay in this deadbeat school district. Believe me, if you don't know much about Orange Unified School District, stay far away from it. She thinks that she has a time period for which she can legally get out of this letter and people do it all the time.

Need advice. Can these letters of intent to return be binding?

Your wife will need to show that document to an attorney to get an opinion as to whether the document constitutes a binding agreement obligating her to return. Since it's titled "letter of intent" I tend to think it's not but it all depends on the exact wording of the document. (It's also quite possible that what she's been "told" is nothing more than rumor and speculation.)

Posting the contents of the letter here won't get you what you need. Legal bulletin boards such as this only offer general information and opinions. They are NOT a substitute for seeking legal counsel when necessary, nor would an attorney in their right mind offer anyone specific legal advice in a format such as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back