Insurance surcharges and employee's right to privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayKnight

We just had a meeting at work to discuss the up coming benefits enrollment. The company I work for does annual Bio Metric screenings with a monetary deposit in your HSA account if you choose to participate in the companies wellness incentives. For the past few years I have opted out of this. We have found out that if you choose to opt out in 2015 and going forward that the company will now impose a $25 per pay surcharge, for a total of $700 a year on top of the medical coverage deductions. Upon asking a ton of questions about this and not being satisfied with the classic HR answers, I found out that it really boiled down to paying for premiums my company has had to pay out on 4-5 employee policies over the past 2yrs. I go to the doctor roughly 4 times a year barring any major complications or situations. I'm a firm believer that the information is for the doctor and I to go over and come up with a plan of action to resolve. I do not feel my company has any right to intrude into my private life. At the end of the day they want to take the information and have you abide by a certain criteria to improve 3 of 5 numbers Cholesterol, BMI, triglycerides, blood pressure, blood glucose. I'm still confused as to how HIPPA laws can be by- passed to force my hand in giving them this information or pay $700 a year to keep it between me and my doctor. At what point does this become discrimination, invasion of privacy, and an intrusion into my civil liberties? As the benefits personnel talked he solidified that yes I was going to be discriminated against if I didn't give in to the companies policy. At what point did I sign my life over to the company? The argument that the government imposes the same surcharge is lacking any back bone. The government imposed the surcharge to avoid having 450lbs military personnel who couldn't get out of their own way on a battle field, and to make sure it's front line troops are always combat ready. I'm sure they had some other reasons along with that but that was the original bases for the program. I did not sign up for a tour of duty.

Thank you letting us know your views.
I hope you get things sorted to your liking.

HIPAA (not HIPPA) is not being bypassed. The HIPAA laws prohibit a doctor, hospital, pharmacy or other covered entity from releasing your information without your permission. Nowhere does HIPAA prohibit your employer (even in the somewhat unlikely event that they are covered under HIPAA at all) from requesting or even requiring that you provide such information.

Discrimination based on a refusal to provide required information is not illegal.

Sorry, I got all this wrong. Don't discriminate for color, ethnicity, sex, looks, or physical handicap. But it's ok when I don't want to share my health information with Corporate America. Just doesn't make any sense to me how it's OK.

Sorry, I got all this wrong. Don't discriminate for color, ethnicity, sex, looks, or physical handicap. But it's ok when I don't want to share my health information with Corporate America. Just doesn't make any sense to me how it's OK.

By the New Year, more great stuff from ObamaCare will kick us all in the REAR again.
Not to worry, the only way out is to emigrate.
I left and am happily living in Belize.
I commute every month, but I'll be renouncing my useless US Citizenship very soon.
Nothing magical about the USA anymore.

What's "okay" is a matter of opinion. You are entitled to your opinion that this is unreasonable. There may even be those of us here who agree with you.

However, what's legal is a matter of law, not opinion.

Sorry but we can't make the legal illegal - there is nothing illegal being done by your employer. (no illegal discrimination)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back