Insurance company issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was in an accident almost three weeks ago. I was driving down a busy 4 lane road (Two lanes each direction). A 16 yr old pulling out of side street, making a left turn went through a stop sign and hit me broadside, right behind my drivers side door. Police were called. The 16yr old admitted to the police and to me that he just wasn't paying attention. (This is in the police accident report) In addition, he had an underage passenger in the car with him, which is also illegal in Colorado. He was written a ticket for "Careless driving". My insurance company (Geico) advised me to go through his insurance company (American Family) directly. Well I spoke with their adjuster and they sent an appraiser out, and appraised my truck to have over $4000 in damage. Now the adjuster from American Family will not return my calls. Two weeks now I've been calling and he wont respond. What are my options? Get my insurance company involved to try to get a response?
Also, a lot of people have been telling me that his insurance company should be paying for my rental car. Is this true?
Finally I've never been in an accident before. Is it normal for an insurance company to take this long to accept fault and pay a claim? This case seems pretty cut and dry.

I was in an accident almost three weeks ago. I was driving down a busy 4 lane road (Two lanes each direction). A 16 yr old pulling out of side street, making a left turn went through a stop sign and hit me broadside, right behind my drivers side door. Police were called. The 16yr old admitted to the police and to me that he just wasn't paying attention. (This is in the police accident report) In addition, he had an underage passenger in the car with him, which is also illegal in Colorado. He was written a ticket for "Careless driving". My insurance company (Geico) advised me to go through his insurance company (American Family) directly. Well I spoke with their adjuster and they sent an appraiser out, and appraised my truck to have over $4000 in damage. Now the adjuster from American Family will not return my calls. Two weeks now I've been calling and he wont respond. What are my options? Get my insurance company involved to try to get a response?
Also, a lot of people have been telling me that his insurance company should be paying for my rental car. Is this true?
Finally I've never been in an accident before. Is it normal for an insurance company to take this long to accept fault and pay a claim? This case seems pretty cut and dry.

You can ask your insurance company to handle the claim and subrogate against his company after your have been made whole.
Tell your company his company is doing nothing, and you'd like your car fixed sooner, rather than later.

There could be another issue or two at play, but try this angle first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back