im being harrassed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffisduffis

:mad: I currently work for a non-profit agency(at-will employee) and my supervisor seems to have trouble making up her mind on rules and the way things should be done. One day your doing your job right and the next day your being wrote up for it. I was fed up with this and went to her supervisor and caused some commotion. Ever since this my supervisor has been on my back for everything that i do, right or wrong.I have went through the chain of command to report her behaviors toward me, and have got no where. I am under so much stress am currently being tested for an ulcer, and i am on medication for this, i have been put on 2 different medication to calm my nerves, i am close to a seperation in my personal life due to my frustrations being taken out on my boyfriend of 7 years. My daughter is also feeling the wrath of mom when she gets home. I have chest pains and rapid heart beats when i think about walking in the office. I feel she is affecting my health, is there anything i can do? She thinks that she can continue to degrade me in front of other co-workers and slander my name. I have also heard that she is trying to set me up for termination. She also knows that i cant afford to lose this job because i had previous felony counts against me 13years ago and she thinks that i cant get another job, which she is right its very hard. I dont know how much longer i can take it from her before i flip, PLEASE HELP ME!! thank you Lisa:(

hm, while my first advice is to try to get a different job as soon as you can, there are some steps you might be able to take. You wrote about being degraded in front of your coworkers. Things like that you should record and bring to the attention of management. No proper management will ever allow things like this to happen.

Degrading behavior, wrongful accusations, slanderous remarks, things like this you should record with time and place and circumstances and of course, as many witnesses as you can get, and then present it all in a concise, nice and non-emotional letter to the top management, asking them to stop this.

This will NOT change the hostility this supervisor has against you, therefore you might also try to be transferred to a different department.

And you should look for a new job very hard.

I don't disagree with anything the above poster said - however, please be aware that while what you are being subjected to might fit the dictionary definition of harassment, it does not fit the LEGAL definition of harassment based on the facts in your post.

In order to be ILLEGAL harassment, it has to be based on your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or because you are over 40. (You don't say what state you are in; some, but not all, states include other groups for protection, with marital status and sexual orientation being the most common, although not limited to that.)

While the company by all means SHOULD address what is happening, unless what she is doing constitutes ILLEGAL harassment they are not legally obligated to do so.

It is not illegal to be a jerk, even a world-class jerk.

I am by no means unsympathetic - I have been where you are. But your legal options are limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back