I'm 19 dating a 17 year old

L

Lsmitty21

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I am a 19 year old guy, and my girlfriend is 17. Her parents support our relationship and are ok with us dating. My parents don't like it because of the age difference. We are not sexual at all, but we do kiss and hold hands. My parents are telling me to break up with here because they say it is illegal for us to be dating and kissing and even holding hands. I'm just wondering if it is legal or not for us to be dating?

I am 19 years old and my girlfriend is 17. We both live in Pennsylvania. Her parents support our relationship and are ok with us dating. My parents don't like it because of the age difference. We are not sexual at all, but we do kiss and hold hands. My parents are telling me to break up with here because they say it is illegal for us to be dating and kissing and even holding hands. I'm just wondering if it is legal or not for us to be dating?

First of all in the future you need to post in the correct area of the forum. This area is NOT for legal questions as it says very clearly.

Secondly, these laws vary by state so you need to specify yours.

I am a 19 year old guy, and my girlfriend is 17. Her parents support our relationship and are ok with us dating. My parents don't like it because of the age difference. We are not sexual at all, but we do kiss and hold hands. My parents are telling me to break up with here because they say it is illegal for us to be dating and kissing and even holding hands. I'm just wondering if it is legal or not for us to be dating?

Why ask about the legality of your situation.
She's LEGALLY a child.
Almost an adult is still legally a child.
You're LEGALLY an adult.
I think you, as an adult, know what the RIGHT choice is, which is why you're asking about the LEGAL choice.
Good luck, if you know what happens.
Because when ITALIAN STALLION, NIGHTSTALKER, or ICEPICK come for you, LEGAL won't mean a thing to those AMOROUS brutes!!!

I am 19 years old and my girlfriend is 17. We both live in Pennsylvania. Her parents support our relationship and are ok with us dating. My parents don't like it because of the age difference. We are not sexual at all, but we do kiss and hold hands. My parents are telling me to break up with here because they say it is illegal for us to be dating and kissing and even holding hands. I'm just wondering if it is legal or not for us to be dating?

STOP creating NEW threads to ask the SAME question.
The answers won't change because you ask a question 1,000 times.
Thank you.

She is a minor & you are an adult. It would be best if you waited until she turned 18. Dating a minor "might" cause a problem for you. Her parents might be ok with it now but they could change their minds.

There are no laws that restrict or define "dating" its when sex or sexual activity (does not have to be physical) occurs that the laws apply.

Kissing counts as sexual contact. If you wouldn't do it with your grandmother, you can't do it to her.

Legality aside, you are an adult. Why are YOUR parents telling you who you can be in a relationship with? If they are just advising that it is unwise to be involved with a legal child, that is one thing. If they are dictating and vetting any and all romantic relationships, you have a problem. Good for you both for getting her parents' approval and getting to know them.

If you keep it to the grandmother rule, and her parents approve, you should be fine. PA does have a Romeo and Juliet defense, BUT it is a defense. Meaning legally you could still be arrested for statutory rape, though if you can prove the conduct was consensual and you are less than 4 years apart, you can prevail in court. The likelihood of being reported for statutory rape (which does not just include penetration) of a 17 year old is small, but it is something to keep in mind. You wouldn't be the first guy to find the parents of your paramour change their tune if the relationship goes south.

Back