I'm 16 and have a restraining order between me and my girlfriend

gabriel

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
When I was 15 I started dating a girl who just turned 18. My mother found out about us because of letters between us. So my mother took her to court for a restraining order between us and got it. I'm 16 now and my girlfriends still 18 and my mother found out we are talking over phone. Is their anything I can do if my mother decides to turn my girlfriend in?

If you care about this girl, stay away from her until you are 18. Your Mother can cause trouble for her. You need to tell her to stay away from you. It's best you have NO contact at all.

I know that now, but is their any legal defense I can do since I'm 16 now? When I was 15 I didn't have a say in anything but now I suposivily have a say in things.

Agree with Betty3.

Your GF can end up in jail for violating the restraining order even if you called her.

In Wisconsin, your parent is still in charge of your romantic activities until you are 18.

See 948.02(2), 948.09, and 948.01(1) at:

Wisconsin Legislature: 948.02

So, no, you don't have any say in this until you are 18.

I know that now, but is their any legal defense I can do since I'm 16 now? When I was 15 I didn't have a say in anything but now I suposivily have a say in things.
No, you have no legal defense. Your Mother can turn her in & request you & she have no contact. You both need to cease all contact with one another.

You are still under 18 and what your mother says, goes. NO, there is nothing you can do if your mother reports that your "girlfriend" is violating a court order. Do you and she realize that she can go to jail for this? Your turning 16 does not change anything at all.

When you BOTH are 18 or older, you can do as you wish.

When you BOTH are 18 or older, you can do as you wish.

That is very true, Miss Betty.
However, when the OP becomes an adult, the love of his life will have found another thirteen year old to LOVE!!!!

That's sad but could very well be true. :(

Why would you think turning 16 magically trumps a court order?? You get a say in your choice of dates when you turn 18. Even then, your desire does not trump a court order.

Back