I was told my divorce was final and remarried then I was told that there was a mixup

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedgirl

I was told by one of the people in my paralegal's office that my California divorce was final in mid 2005. I moved to Kansas in early 2006 and remarried in June 2007. After going through my paperwork I realized that I never received a copy of the final divorce paperwork and figured I never received it with moving and all. I contacted my paralegal and he said that there was a mixup with the paperwork and my divorce wasn't final. Since I was still married to my 1st husband I understand that the marriage to my 2nd husband isn't valid. I am now divorced as of June 2nd of this year. There is a 30 day waiting period in Kansas before you can remarry. Since I honestly didn't know I was still married to my 1st husband am I subject to any legal issues since I was married to two people at the same time? We plan on getting married again but I'm afraid that they will try to put me in jail. When I fill out the marriage application do i even mention the KS marriage since it's not considered valid? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back