I want my dad to sign over rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunmoonnstars84

I am 19 years old and realize that I am legally an adult and do not need parents permission for anything, but I would like my father to sign over his parental rights. My parents were divorced when I was 9 years old and in the beginning my siblings and I visited him every other weekend, now that I am older, I no longer have contact with him (he hasn't been there for me at all). My one brother still goes with him, they actually have a good relationship (he's 14). My younger sister (17) doesn't visit with him anymore either. So I realize that I am an adult now, it's just the principle of the matter. I don't want to have to have anything to do with him anymore. I don't know how to go about having him sign over his parental rights. I also read somewhere in one of the other forums that parents somehow have some type of control over you until you are 24, or something, I don't even know if that is true. Please someone let me know what steps I have to take in order for him to sign over his rights, I just want him completely out of my life forever.

Does he still pay CS? I know some CS stops at 18, some at 21...depending on the divorce decree. If he is still responsible for CS, then your parents would be the ones who have to file for TPR.

If he isn't still responsible for CS (and in some cases if you are also no longer in school)...then you don't need a TPR, he is basically done as far as any parental rights go. It would cheaper and easier for you to just have your name changed.

Personal Note: Please think about it for a while before doing any of the above. You are 19 and your feelings now could be very different in another couple of years, I just wouldn't want you to do something rash, then regret it. Good Luck in with your decision!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back