I think the police want friend to make a false police report or they will take DL

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittybob

My friend sam stored his atv in his cousins tom's garage. While sam was at work one day tom jumped onto sam's atv went up the street and on the way back down ran a stop sign got hit by a car heading south then one heading north he was ejected off of atv and slammed head on curbs causing blunt trauma to head and later died. Now the police want sam to make a police report stating Tom stole his atv. sam has said to police he didn't steal it at most he operated without owner consent. Because the atv was stored in tom's garage. now the police and DOT are threatening to take Sam's DL if he doesn't make a report stating it was stolen. How is the police asking him to make a false report legal and what difference is it going to make?? Really Tom died!

My friend sam stored his atv in his cousins tom's garage. While sam was at work one day tom jumped onto sam's atv went up the street and on the way back down ran a stop sign got hit by a car heading south then one heading north he was ejected off of atv and slammed head on curbs causing blunt trauma to head and later died. Now the police want sam to make a police report stating Tom stole his atv. sam has said to police he didn't steal it at most he operated without owner consent. Because the atv was stored in tom's garage. now the police and DOT are threatening to take Sam's DL if he doesn't make a report stating it was stolen. How is the police asking him to make a false report legal and what difference is it going to make?? Really Tom died!

The owner of the ATV might want to consult an attorney. If the vehicle wasn't stolen, the owner MIGHT be in legal peril. There is a legal difference between operating without the owner's consent and stealing. Both will protect the owner. I don't think the state is demanding the owner to lie. But, an explanation of the events is probably required.

It sounds like Sam is going to be sued for not having insurance on the ATV. That might be the grounds for suspending his license if it was not stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back