I think my old boss is harassing me

N

needsomeguidance

Jurisdiction
California
I believe my old boss is harassing me. I left a place of employment 3 years ago to get away from this man. In the 5 or so months I worked with him he made me so miserable I had to leave a job I loved and had been with for almost 4 years. Prior to leaving I filed an official complaint of harassment and workplace bullying.

Since leaving the company I've run into my old boss at tradeshows. I go out of my way to stay away from him as he's a liar and a sociopath- the scary kind. Over the years he's gone out of his way to stare me down and try to intimidate me. I just generally don't acknowledge him and act as if it doesn't bother me- but it does, a lot. I am scared of him and although he's never hurt me physically -I've seen what he's capable of and is a master manipulator....you just don't know what people like he are capable of.

A month ago I was persued by a company for a position and although not actively looking to switch roles- I was interested and continued to talk to this company (let's call them Company A). Company A offered me a position and negotiations persued for a week or so....they say I decided to take the role the offer was rescinded- due to decent reasons. Within minutes of hanging up from hearing the news I received an message from my old boss through LinkedIn (we are not linked) - he stated he was aware I interviewed with Company A and claimed Company A reached out for reference so he shared my last email with both Company A and my current employer informing them I was job hunting.

I have no clue what my last email to him would of been, other than 'good ritense and your lies will catch up with you'. For all I know he could of made something up.

I decided to confront Company A regarding the matter as I didn't use my old boss as a reference and Company A was aware of the unfortunate circumstances of my boss and I not working well together. Company A claimed to know nothing of my old boss and said they never received an email. So...a lie? By who? Company A or my old boss? Nothing has come up from my current employer as of yet. 1 month later.

I want this guy to leave me alone and go away. I'm afraid of him but don't want him to know that. What can I do legally if anything?

I have no idea what anybody can do to protect themselves from a lunatic who wants to do them harm.

However, if his malicious behavior has cost you money (either current job or prospective job) you may have grounds for a lawsuit.

Unfortunately, suing a bastard like that just entrenches him further into your life, so...

When applying for positions, I would not reference this guy at all. He was only your supervisor for a very short period and while there is always an off chance someone at a new company knows him or that he worked there and contacts him on their own, that is unlikely and rare. It would help to have a reference from that job who can speak to your time there and what this guy did. Having been on the other side of the desk, it helps to have a reference bring up the problems and verify them independently.

Back