I think I was profiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv12

I was pulled over by salt lake city police sitting at a four way stop light.
(no moving violation was cited), I inquired as to why I was pulled over and the officer
stated that there was no insurance on the vehicle.
So I inquired as to why he ran my tag and the officers response was "I run everyones tag".
I think He would have to be pretty good to pull that off especially during rush our or after an evening event.
I was not the owner of the vehicle,and was assured by the owner that the vehicle was covered with the dealer
and that I was included as an authorized driver. I was given a test drive period before purchase.
The officer stated that the insurance company had sent out 3 notices and got no response so the DMV revoked the
registration. The officer issued me two citations (no Insurance aND nO registrationtowed the vehicle.
I was left on the side of the road in my pj's.
isn't there supposed to be some kind of moving violation/probable cause or suspicious activity before to justify
an inquiry? what specifically are the rules.

I was pulled over by salt lake city police sitting at a four way stop light.
(no moving violation was cited), I inquired as to why I was pulled over and the officer
stated that there was no insurance on the vehicle.
So I inquired as to why he ran my tag and the officers response was "I run everyones tag".
I think He would have to be pretty good to pull that off especially during rush our or after an evening event.
I was not the owner of the vehicle,and was assured by the owner that the vehicle was covered with the dealer
and that I was included as an authorized driver. I was given a test drive period before purchase.
The officer stated that the insurance company had sent out 3 notices and got no response so the DMV revoked the
registration. The officer issued me two citations (no Insurance aND nO registrationtowed the vehicle.
I was left on the side of the road in my pj's.
isn't there supposed to be some kind of moving violation/probable cause or suspicious activity before to justify
an inquiry? what specifically are the rules.

I disagree. You weren't profiled, you were treated properly and not incarcerated.
Hire a lawyer, see if he or she can lessen the pain.

Concur - hire a traffic law attorney & see what he/she might be able to do for you.

I say skip the attorney. This sounds completely legitimate.
The citations you received, as well as the tow and storage fees, are the owner's responsibility, not yours.
Show up and answer to your citation, but show that you are not the owner of the vehicle and you can likely get the citation against you dismissed.
In the event you are ordered to pay THEN obtain an attorney to help you with reimbursement from the owner.

The officer is permitted to run license plates and drivers in the course of his assigned duties with or without reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back