Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant I need to renew my green card but arrest warrant is possibly issued in Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

warrant

5 yrs ago police officers came to my house because my neighbor called while me and my girl friend was fighting. I left my house before they arrived and my girl friend told them i hit her. But that was lied. She had few scratches and they took couple of pictures. Next day girl friend called same officer and explained what really happened but he still wanted me to turn myself in. I never got an arrest because i left the state and now i need to renew my green card but there can be possibly arrest warrant issued on me. Does arrest warrant can effect on renewing green card and how can i find out if arrest warrant is issued or not?? Court woudn't give me that information unless i show up in court.

5 yrs ago police officers came to my house because my neighbor called while me and my girl friend was fighting. I left my house before they arrived and my girl friend told them i hit her. But that was lied. She had few scratches and they took couple of pictures. Next day girl friend called same officer and explained what really happened but he still wanted me to turn myself in. I never got an arrest because i left the state and now i need to renew my green card but there can be possibly arrest warrant issued on me. Does arrest warrant can effect on renewing green card and how can i find out if arrest warrant is issued or not?? Court woudn't give me that information unless i show up in court.

You can bet your sweet patootie that you have an arrest warrant, maybe even warrants waiting for you.

Probably some type of domestic violence charge, and a flight to avoid prosecution (MAYBE) even in the federal system.

Forget about Green Cards, there might be a prison cell in your future.

Hire a lawyer in Oregon, where ever the trouble happened.

Or, call a bail bondsman back there and ask him or her if there is an active warrant (warrants) for you.

Ask what the bond would cost, or even if bond is allowed without seeing a judge.

That way you'll know how bad this is.

Agree, before concerning yourself with renewing your green card, you need to take care of any warrant(s) that might be out there. You might need to talk to a lawyer.

Check with Sheriff!

WARRANT:

First of all, you are looking in all the wrong places to find out if you have an outstanding warrant, especially a court house; a warrant search can be done very simply by either calling your County's Sheriff Offices or by visiting their website. For example http://www.clackamas.us/safetyapp/warrants/

If by phone, ask the kind sheriff deputy who answers the phone for a warrant search on such-&-such person and you will be given an answer in less than 30 seconds. And no; you will not need give personal information like name and address because you will not be asked for them since warrants are public records and as such anybody can look them up. If you don't feel like socializing, then just visit the Sheriff's website where you will be asked for the first name, last name, and (depending on the county) a birth year and not the exact birth date, and once you press the submit button, it will take about 3 seconds for you to have the answer.

BUT BE AWARE of some private companies masquerading as official government websites proclaiming to provide all manner of records for free. One of those companies goes by DMV.org which will then hand you over to FreeBackgroundCheck.org

My take on the subject however is that you are wasting time and energy worrying about nothing; the situation you described will not cause the issuance of an arrest warrant, especially since the alleged victim has retracted the complaint. It is true however that when it comes to domestic violence, the matter will no longer be under the control of the victim once a repost is made to law enforcement who can make an arrest even when victim recants. But in order to prosecute, they will need the victim's testimony in court and if no such thing is forthcoming, then why bother with an arrest warrant.

But do look up for any warrants just to be on the safe side.

Last but not least, your status as an L.P.R. (Lawful Permanent Resident), otherwise known as a Green Card Holder, will not be in any danger as far as I.C.E. (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) is concerned. In case you have not heard, I.C.E. is the new I.N.S. whose sole purpose is to detain and remove those non U.S. Citizens who have accumulated indiscretions which amount to an Aggravated Felony for Immigration Purposes. While I do not wish to get into the very, very long winded and seemingly endless and on-going discussion of what constitutes Aggravated Felony for the Immigration Purposes, suffice it to say that your tiff with your ex does not qualify you for the honour of being arrested and deported by I.C.E.

Not that they wouldn't salivate at the mouth at the prospect, which they would. However, any detention and removal of an L.P.R. will have to result from a final ruling and conviction handed down by a criminal court judge. So, even assuming that there is a bench warrant out there for you, it will have no effect on your Green Card renewal as a warrant is NOT considered a FINAL conviction and RULING and as such not actionable.

fredrikklaw

You may not have a warrant at all.
The officer would have sent his report to the District Attorney, and if the DA felt there was enough evidence then a warrant may have been requested.
It is very possible that the DA took no action if they felt the case was weak, or if the victim had changed her story or became uncooperative.
A mentioned above, contact the county sheriff. With your name and birthdate they can quickly tell you if you have a warrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back