I got caught shoplifting.

memmy12

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I'm a minor. I was caught shoplifting- no charges were pressed. I have done it before, and I'm worried; will they go through CCTV footage to look for me in the past? Can they charge me for past thefts? Is it likely that they'll look? Obviously I was very lucky to get off with just a warning but I'm worried that I'll end up being charged anyways.

I have done it before, and I'm worried; will they go through CCTV footage to look for me in the past?

Probably NOT, because you're just a minnow in the world of crime.

However, it might be in your best interests to STOP stealing because minnows can be swallowed by the monster fish or the police.

I was very lucky to get off with just a warning but I'm worried that I'll end up being charged anyways.

It isn't too late to turn your life around and stop doing stupid shit!

I was caught shoplifting- no charges were pressed.

Well...no charges pressed yet.

will they go through CCTV footage to look for me in the past?

Since we have no idea who "they" are, we have no way of predicting what "they" might do. And, by the way, please DO NOT identify the establishment where yo committed these crimes. Admitting to your crimes on the internet was a foolish thing to do. Don't compound your mistakes by providing more identifying information.

Can they charge me for past thefts?

You can be criminally prosecuted (presumably as a juvenile, which might technically not be a "criminal prosecution") for any crimes for which the statute of limitations has not expired. Based on a very quick and cursory search, the statute of limitations in Maryland for shoplifting appears to be two years.

I'm worried that I'll end up being charged anyways.

Hopefully you're sufficiently worried that you stop committing crimes.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. It is VERY unlikely they would do so unless they were given info suggesting as such or they read this post.

Back