1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

I can't afford a divorce but I make "too much money" for assistance.

Discussion in 'Divorce, Separation, Annulment' started by Kyleigh, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Kyleigh

Kyleigh Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Pennsylvania
    My husband is refusing to sign the papers so an uncontested divorce is out of question. I cannot afford the legal fees for a contested divorce. I've reached out for assistance but I apparently make to much money. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

2. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

I suggest you seek consultations with some local attorneys and discuss whether your situation is such that the court will likely order your husband to pay your attorneys' fees. Otherwise, get yourself a "divorce for dummies" type book or get down to a law library and ask the librarian to help you find a practice guide for family law matters.

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

He need not sign the papers, and you need not ask him.

There are hundreds of people offering advice/information on DIY divorces in PA.

Start your research, your answers await.

4. leslie82

leslie82 Well-Known Member

I looked around and talked to several lawyers for mine. I first started 3 months before I filed. One lawyer said he'd waive his consultation fee because I had dv going on and active duty.

The lawyer I hired worked from home at the time. I only paid $1500 total and he let me pay $500 a month. But my ex also never showed up to court so I got a default decree. But no retainer. Just flat fee but I looked around.

5. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Here is information that your state has published for self-represented individuals in divorce actions: http://www.pacourts.us/learn/representing-yourself/divorce-proceedings

shadowbunny likes this.
  6. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

zddoodah likes this.
  7. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

I readily acknowledge that I missed the date. Having said that, I can only hope that the link I provided is helpful for someone else who may be directed to this thread by a search engine.

PayrollHRGuy and army judge like this.