Copyright I am being invoiced for illegal use of copyrighted photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmmignone

The other day I received a letter from a company's general counsel indicating that they found of their stock photos on a page on my companiy's website. The invoice was for $1438.00 and goes back to 2002 when the photo was posted.
Back in 2002 I was referred to a web designer that designed my entire website and all the photos on the site are photos that he installed.

I tried reaching him as I have not been in contact with him since 2002 and although I received confirmation that the email was accepted, I have not received a reply from him.

Meanwhile the company has sent me a second notice regarding the invoice. What are my options?

The other day I received a letter from a company's general counsel indicating that they found of their stock photos on a page on my companiy's website. The invoice was for $1438.00 and goes back to 2002 when the photo was posted.
Back in 2002 I was referred to a web designer that designed my entire website and all the photos on the site are photos that he installed.

I tried reaching him as I have not been in contact with him since 2002 and although I received confirmation that the email was accepted, I have not received a reply from him.

Meanwhile the company has sent me a second notice regarding the invoice. What are my options?

If you're smart, ignore those scam letters.

They are not legitimate.

Wake up, scammers make a fortune off of gullible people.

Don't be gullible.

Don't help this crook pick your pocket.

We get reports of this scam all the time.

Do NOT contact or correspond with these creatures.

In fact, it is almost impossible to reach them, isn't it?

Because they aren't legitimate.

This just screams scam, sir or madam!

Ignore him, he'll slither away and seek a dumber, les informed person!

As a photographer who has encountered illegal use of my own copyrighted materials online, I have sent cease and desist letters for the images in the past. Organizations that refuse to remove the image often get an invoice for the full rate cost of using my stock images online in addition to administrative fees. If they still refuse to pay the invoice, I take them to court or leverage my rights under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act to have the site taken offline until my costs are recovered.

Any legit photographer of stock photo service will be reachable by phone, email and mail. Contact your lawyer and have them contact the person sending the letter. Research the organization. Ask for details like original date of publication, date of image capture, or any legal details to prove they are the original owner of the images. A large organization will have the Copyright Registration record or other identification from the US Copyright Offices to back up their claim. Small shops, like myself, still have legal action under the current laws and if they can prove they own the original rights to the image in court will be able to claim larger sums plus damages and court costs.

If you have artwork on your website, you are responsible for the content. When I ran a web design business, we purchased all art work from services like Getty Images. We provided he customer with invoices for the art work. Unless the image was a royalty-free piece of art, which we provided proof for as well, we did not use the art work or photos without a signed license from the artist or service offering the image.

The down side for you, if the copyright owner feels that you will not cooperate, they can contact your Internet service provider to have your site removed under current copyright laws. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act gives content owners far greater reach and power. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA

Be smart, do your homework, investigate the photo and the service claiming copyright. Remove the image when in doubt and be prepared for legal action in the event the copyright holder is a legitimate business.

As a photographer who has encountered illegal use of my own copyrighted materials online, I have sent cease and desist letters for the images in the past.

The magic words were "sent cease and desist letters". Scammers only play this game via email to avoid postal mail fraud laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back