HR lied about wages and benefit packages

• Thread Starter Sunflower's dust
  • Start date
S

Sunflower's dust

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I had an interview for a position in education. Everything went fine. The principal told me to expect a call from HR. When HR called She lied about the wages and benefits. I knew because I had browsed though the school website and contract. I reported the lies to the principal. The principal told me the right wages and asked me to call HR again to discuss it. I called HR many times, and left messages with no answers. Then, the principal called back and told me the school will hire someone else. I do not think it was fair. What should I do?

I had an interview for a position in education. Everything went fine. The principal told me to expect a call from HR. When HR called She lied about the wages and benefits. I knew because I had browsed though the school website and contract. I reported the lies to the principal. The principal told me the right wages and asked me to call HR again to discuss it. I called HR many times, and left messages with no answers. Then, the principal called back and told me the school will hire someone else. I do not think it was fair. What should I do?

The principal did not do anything wrong here - the "school" can change their mind. (unless you had a binding employment contract guaranteeing you the job & for a certain period of time) Unfair does not always equal illegal. You can look for other employment. Good luck.

Calling others out as liars, especially if you wish to curry their favor, is never a good idea.

Not to mention the fact that what you see on the company website, and what they intend to offer you, do not have to coincide.

It may or may not be "fair": there can be more the one school of opinion on that. But nothing illegal transpired.

There is nothing to do here. Whether it was a lie, a misunderstanding, or just a mistake you do not know. Respectfully seeking clarification is reasonable and you got that. Calling people liars, and leaving multiple messages over information you already have raises huge red flags and the employer is within their rights to choose another candidate. Being difficult before you even have a foot in the door tends to be sign of what type of behavior can be expected from you going forward.

Back