how tobget custody of my nephew

concerneduncle1

My sister went back to prison in March of last year. She called me and had me go pick him up and said that she wanted me and my girlfriend to take care of him. My girlfriend was the one who took care of him most of the time because I work third shift at my job. We had him for nearly 9 month and in that 9 months she has repeatedly written letters about how she never wanted the baby, she wished she would have given him up for adoption, and she has said that she wishes she would have aborted him. She has called DCF on us a couple of times, they came to the house and everything was unfounded. When she was released from prison, she had nowhere to go so we let her come stay her so she could be with her son (and so we could keep an eye on her with him) and she has been nothing but problems since she got here. The week she was released, she was actually on Craigslist looking for men who would pay her for sex. That's not the first time either, she has always has sex for money and it scares the hell out of me because I'm afraid she will end up missing or hurt or even dead. I have told her that if I find out that she has been doing it again that I was going to call her parole officer. I don't want my nephew to lose his mother, and at this point I'm afraid she's going to take off with him or something. I don't know what to do at this point - any advice would be appreciated!!

If you're interested in gaining legal custody of your nephew start by talking to three or four family law attorneys.

It'll be a very long and expensive battle, and its nearly impossible to achieve. But, each case is different, so ask those local attorneys.

Bear in mind, even as an uncle, there are others who might have more favorable consideration, as in the bio-daddy.

Bit, you've got almost a year of being mother and father to the kid. That looks good, but there's more to it than that. Good luck.

Back