How to sue HOA Board Member?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisannyou

My jurisdiction is: California

The condo that my husband and I live in has a very beligerent and incompetent woman serving as president. She abused her power and illegally towed our visitor's car in the guest parking spot. Our guest was staying with us for a few days and had parked her car in the same spot for two days straight. No where on the guest parking sign does it say a 24-hour limit or any sort of time limit. She gave us no warning, no sign on the car to remove the vehicle or face towing. She just towed away our guest's car. We had to retrieve it, paying $250. Nowhere in the bylaws does it state parking restrictions or anything related to parking. There are no written rules/laws in place for anything. Only if there is an issue with a homeowner, the board can have a hearing against him/her giving 15 days notice.

We sent a letter to the president, the other board members, and the management company's rep requesting to be reimbursed. There was no response by anyone. We then sent a letter requesting an HOA meeting, because we did not have one in over a year.

At the meeting, the president said that it was our fault for leaving the car there for more than a day. She had no idea who's car it was and was enforcing her own made up rule. We said we would've moved it if we given some kind of warning. It was pointless talking to her so we are going to take her to small claims court to recoup our loss. :mad:

So here is where I need someone's brilliant legal help:

1) Do I sue only the president of the HOA? Naming only her and listing her home address? She's the one who towed the car. There is no official HOA mailing address.

2) Or do I have to sue the management company as well, as one of the defendants because ultimately, the president was acting on behalf of the HOA.

3) In terms of damages, besides the tow away charge, can I also add my day rate for missing work to take her to court?

Any help would be much appreciated. I want my day in court... watch for me on Judge Judy! :p

Thanks.

You will need to sue the management company. And have her listed to be served as CEO of the company.

You can not get your wages, if you take them to court all you will be able to get back would be the $250.00 and court costs.

Just to clarify... The president of the HOA is also a homeowner, not an employed person of the management company. The company rep hasn't claimed responsibility for her actions.

I think I would have to treat them as two separate entities, no? So is it wise to put both of them down on the suit and involving the management company's personnel? In other words, I know I can prove my point against the president. I'm not sure what role the management company will play.

Where does the towing company get its orders from? From the HOA (of which she is president), or from the management company?

I'd name them both. If one of them thinks they're not properly a party, let them tell the judge why they should be let out of the lawsuit.

Awesome, thank you so much! I thought only the management company had the right, but apparently so does the HOA President. I'll list them both and see what happens. It's been a very discouraging process thus far, but now, I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks my fellow law friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back