How to notify non-custodial parent of vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARSE

My husband and I are wondering how to correctly notify the non-custodial parent that we will be taking our 2 week summer vacation (as per the parenting plan allows) with the children. The last time we only verbally let them know (it took away one weekend of their residential time) and later it was stated that they never knew we were taking vacation time. Should I send a certified letter informing them. It will be taking away one weekend of the non-custodial parents residential time again.

We are only taking it over their weekend because the girls are going to summer camp and it starts on the their regular visitation weekend. In order for the girls to go we have to take our 2 week vacation with them.

My husband and I are wondering how to correctly notify the non-custodial parent that we will be taking our 2 week summer vacation (as per the parenting plan allows) with the children. The last time we only verbally let them know (it took away one weekend of their residential time) and later it was stated that they never knew we were taking vacation time. Should I send a certified letter informing them. It will be taking away one weekend of the non-custodial parents residential time again.

We are only taking it over their weekend because the girls are going to summer camp and it starts on the their regular visitation weekend. In order for the girls to go we have to take our 2 week vacation with them.

Whatever you do, do not violate the court order.

What you are proposing violates the spirit and the integrity of the current order.

You could try and negotiate a compromise.

You could ask your lawyer to help you negotiate a compromise.

But, be prepared to give to receive.

The other parent has the right to say no.

If the other parent says no, then adjust your plans accordingly.

Please, for the sake of harmony and the lessons you are teaching your offspring, obey the decree and the law.

Do the right thing at all times.

I thought it was pretty fair to ask to get the kids back on Saturday night so they can go to their camp on Sunday, this way the other parent would still get part of their visitation with them. We do have the right through the parenting plan to take 2 weeks with the kids but we thought that we could work it out so the other parent only misses out on 1 day. ? So we are trying to do the right thing. The question I was asking was whether we should notify the other parent through certified mail rather than verbal as that did not work in the past.

Go with certified mail.

Expect the other parent to object.

Vacation should not interfere with the other parent's parenting time....period.

I thought it was pretty fair to ask to get the kids back on Saturday night so they can go to their camp on Sunday, this way the other parent would still get part of their visitation with them. We do have the right through the parenting plan to take 2 weeks with the kids but we thought that we could work it out so the other parent only misses out on 1 day. ? So we are trying to do the right thing. The question I was asking was whether we should notify the other parent through certified mail rather than verbal as that did not work in the past.

I wasn't criticizing you.
I was attempting to inform you that YOU can't summarily assume what you want to do is okay with the other party.
You can ask.
They can say no.
It doesn't matter how you notify them, other than to document delivery.
Notification is only part of your problem.
Only the court can modify the order.
It isn't just that it is one day, one hour, or even one minute.
It isn't your prerogative to decide unilaterally what someone else must accept.

I'd ask the other party if it was okay.
I'd be sure to get their assignation in writing.
You'd still be taking a chance, because people get mad, and change their minds.

It is always best (although often inconvenient) to seek a modification of custody terms through the court system.
Even if it is but a day, you don't have the right to make that decision.
That decision is solely within the purview of the court.
I hope things work out well for you and everyone else, especially the children.

Last edited:
I read the original post to mean that the parenting agreement allows the CP to take a 2 week vacation during which the NCP will lose one weekend of summer visitation.

In the original post, the NCP did not object to the loss of visitation. He objected because he had not been informed that the CP was exercising that right per the parenting agreement.

In the subsequent post, I think the OP said that the vacation was scheduled so that the NCP would only lose one day of his visitation, rather than the entire weekend that OP is allowed to take for the 2 week vacation.

Perhaps, OP will clarify.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back