How to fire the super in our building

supercooper

Jurisdiction
New York
I live on the west coast and have a co-op in New York that has a terrible super. Unfortunately the super won't quite and is part of a union. He is not only a poor worker but he has been consistently rude, seems to take endless sick days even when he is not sick. I have seen him out having fun on those off days that I'm told he's sick. The work he has done around the building is terrible. I don't know how he was hired.

I'm told that New York unions make it impossible to get supers fired and replaced. Since they also live in the building, I'm told it is even more difficult for them to be removed. Is there any standard which is required for them to adhere to like testing or something else which can be used to show this guy is totally incompetent? Are there any standards?

I suggest you organize the people living in the building and call a meeting.

The building occupants can discuss their concerns and organize formally.

Once the details and goals have been agreed upon, the organized occupants can vote on how best to proceed.

Your goal is to involve the majority of tenants, as in 90% at least. Unless you have majority support, very little will change.

Your other options, assuming there is not enough support and you desire changes to be made, is for you to arrange your departure. You can also decide that if others don't care and you don't wish to leave, "grin, smile, and take it".

Co-ops are corporations that have officers and management.

Get together with other owners and make sure you have documentation of your complaints before you make them. And when you make them, make them in writing.

I just want to make sure one thing is clear.

You do not have the power to have the super fired. You can, and should, make complaints to whatever company, board or agency employs him. However, once you have done that it is up to them what action they take. There is no law you can invoke that will force them to fire him. Nor is it your right under the law for them to follow up with you or tell you what, if any, action they take.

By all means complain. Complain every time there is a problem. I'm not saying otherwise. Just do not make the mistake of believing that you can force a firing.

Back