How to do a FULL name change after marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandisthelaw

I had no idea it would be so complicated to change my name after marriage.

My current name is: First Middle Maiden
I want to change my name to: Middle Maiden Married

Social Security Administration referred me to the Courthouse Special Proceedings Division in Wake County, NC to complete a Legal Name Change. What I understand is that my Birth Certificate will have to be amended to my new name. I think it's odd to have my married name on my birth certificate. Something was mentioned about my married name being listed in parenthesis. I don't quite understand it all or understand what other options I may have.

Is amending my birth certificate the only option I have to use my new name legally?

You will have to go to your local court and do a full legal name change. You can down load the papers and fill them out from any legal website that has these forms. After you do a full legal name change you will need to go down to social security and Advise them that u just had a legal name change be sure to take your certified court copy and your marriage licend with u as well. Next go down to the DMV and get your new Dl with your new name on it. Than get the papers at social security to Amend your birth certificate however this process takes anywhere from 6 months to a yr. Good luck

When were you married?

Yes, it matters.

If it was recently, this is very easy.

Do you have a passport?

If not, get one.

When you apply all you need to do is send a certified copy of your marriage license and one of your birth certificate.

If your birth name was Judy Jones and you married Herb Smith, you can become Judy Jones-Smith.

Forget the middle name, it complicates things.

You do this the same with Social Insecurity and the Drivers Licensing Agency.

If you do it thus way, you avoid many hassles and court dates.

It can be done in person in minutes at Social Insecurity or the Drivers Licensing Agency.

The passport process is lengthier, but just as easy.

Certified copies of marriage and birth certificates are required.

When were you married?

Yes, it matters.

If it was recently, this is very easy.

Do you have a passport?

If not, get one.

When you apply all you need to do is send a certified copy of your marriage license and one of your birth certificate.

If your birth name was Judy Jones and you married Herb Smith, you can become Judy Jones-Smith.

Forget the middle name, it complicates things.

You do this the same with Social Insecurity and the Drivers Licensing Agency.

If you do it thus way, you avoid many hassles and court dates.

It can be done in person in minutes at Social Insecurity or the Drivers Licensing Agency.

The passport process is lengthier, but just as easy.

Certified copies of marriage and birth certificates are required.

Army Judge,

I was married May 2011. I don't have a need for a passport, so I'm not understanding why obtaining a passport would help me with my name change. Social Security Admin will not give me a social security card with the name I want on it. The reason is because I am changing my first name. This is why I am having a legal name change. Thank you for your response.

Changing your first name, legally, is expensive, lengthy, and a nightmare.

Talk to a lawyer.

Get your checkbook ready.

Be prepared for a lengthy wait.

Army Judge,

I have started the paperwork, and it's not expensive at all. The cost is only $89 plus fees to request background checks from counties I've lived in. Although there's paperwork involved and a wait period, I wouldn't consider it to be a nighmare. Time consuming, yes. Thanks for your input anyway.

If it pleases you, it delights me.

Go for it.

Army Judge,

I have started the paperwork, and it's not expensive at all. The cost is only $89 plus fees to request background checks from counties I've lived in. Although there's paperwork involved and a wait period, I wouldn't consider it to be a nighmare. Time consuming, yes. Thanks for your input anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back