How Much Can Legally Be Garnished From Disability Payments For Child Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Cherokee

I receive Social Security Disability Benefits. Recently, A child suppport order from Reno, Neveda has garnished my payments for 400.00 I receive 953.00 a month in disability payments. What is the amount legally that can be garnished from one's income for child support? How to I amend or dispute the amount taken out? I now live in Texas and the court case is in Reno,Neveda. I have a dependent (another child not on Neveda support case) that I support.How do I petition family court for Reno,Neveda when I live in Texas? Thank you for your much needed advice and information.

I receive Social Security Disability Benefits. Recently, A child suppport order from Reno, Neveda has garnished my payments for 400.00 I receive 953.00 a month in disability payments. What is the amount legally that can be garnished from one's income for child support? How to I amend or dispute the amount taken out? I now live in Texas and the court case is in Reno,Neveda. I have a dependent (another child not on Neveda support case) that I support.How do I petition family court for Reno,Neveda when I live in Texas? Thank you for your much needed advice and information.

Nevada follows the CCPA limits on withholding:

The withholding limits set by the federal CCPA are as follows:
50% Supports a second family, with no arrears or < 12 weeks in arrears
55% Supports a second family, and more than 12 weeks in arrears
60% Single, with no arrears or < 12 weeks in arrears
65% Single, and is more than 12 weeks in arrears.
(A second family means there are other dependents, a spouse and/or child, for which the employee-parent has responsibility. In arrears means there is past due, unpaid support owed by non-custodial parent.)

I think any (disposable) income, including disability income, is subject to withholding in Nevada. Since Nevada guidelines follow the Percentage of Income model, I assume that your monthly obligation includes arrears, or the child support order covers quite a few children. If neither is correct, then you probably have grounds to modify.

If you want to modify the order, you should retain an attorney in Nevada to represent you.

Last edited:
Don't you get a SS benefit for the child on child support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back