How long will my divorce take?

Msgrant77!

I live in the state of Florida but was married in Jamaica a few years ago. I understand that I am able to file for a divorce here in the U.S. but I wanted to know how long it will take for the divorce to be filed in Jamaica.

I live in the state of Florida but was married in Jamaica a few years ago. I understand that I am able to file for a divorce here in the U.S. but I wanted to know how long it will take for the divorce to be filed in Jamaica.

Divorces can be quick, if both parties play nice.

If one party is upset, expect delays.

As far as Jamaica and divorces, you'l need t ask a lawyer who practices in that naion.

This website focuses on US based laws.

I wanted to know how long it will take for the divorce to be filed in Jamaica.

Why would you want to file in Jamaica since you don't live there? Does your spouse live there? If neither of you live in Jamaica, you may not even be able to file there. In any event, whether you can legally file in Jamaica and how long divorces take in Jamaica are things to discuss with a Jamaican lawyer.

You're a resident of Florida. You can file for, and get, a divorce in Florida regardless of where your spouse is. Once you are divorced in Florida you are done.

If there is any property in Jamaica that is addressed in your Florida decree that comes under dispute, a Jamaican court can enforce the terms of the Florida decree with regard to Jamaican property because:

"Dissolution orders are enforceable in Jamaica by virtue of section 24 of the Matrimonial Causes Act which recognizes foreign decrees."

See line 50 in:

http://www.supremecourt.gov.jm/sites/default/files/judgments/Miller, Carlene v Miller, Harold.pdf

Back