How does working 3rd shift 11pm-7am affects my custody’s case

Joyce_A

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I was awarded temporary primary physical custody and joint custody with my husband as we are separated. My son is with me Monday to Friday and every other weekend with his dad from Friday morning 8am and he's retuned to me Monday morning 8am. He his 3years old and have not started pre-k yet but I teach him at home.

My husband wants to go back to court to get primary physical.

When we separated I had moved to my mother in Minnesota and my husband lives in South Carolina. The judge ask that I considered moving back to Georgia to make my husband visitation easier, which I did. Now that I'm back in Georgia my husband decides that he wants primary physical custody. My younger sister lives with me in Georgia she is 19years old. I work 11pm-7am, HOW IS MY WORK SCHEDULE GOING TO AFFECT MY CASE.
My job is a sitter tech at the hospital so I don't do much but sit with patients and when I get home all I need is 3-4hours of sleep because I get to snooze at work. I put my son to bed at 9pm then leave to work at 10:20pm.

Our usual routine is when I get back from work I'm the morning, I wake him up give him his shower, brush his teeth and breakfast, after that we go outside for morning sunlight for 30mins when the sun come out. Then he reads his books and have snack. I than prepare his lunch and ask my sister give it to him when it's 12:00pm while I'm sleeping. And ask her to send him to my by 1:30 and we'll usually sleep until 3pm, when we wake up I'll have my lunch, give him snacks then when go out to the play ground or he may say he wants to play at home. After by 6:30pm-7pm he eats his dinner and do his studying and watch tv and go to bed at 9pm.

Based on what you describe I'd say your job does not impact anything. Your son sleeps while you are gone and is left in the care of a responsible adult.
If your ex is seeking to change the custody based on that alone then it likely won't happen. He would need something more significant. That doesn't mean that he can't drag you into court to argue about it though.

Based on what you describe I'd say your job does not impact anything. Your son sleeps while you are gone and is left in the care of a responsible adult.
If your ex is seeking to change the custody based on that alone then it likely won't happen. He would need something more significant. That doesn't mean that he can't drag you into court to argue about it though.
Thanks because my current lawyer wants me to find a daytime job and put my son in daycare, and I told him that I'll spend less time with my son when he's in daycare then I'm doing how.

I am only giving you an opinion, not legal advice. Don't devalue your lawyers advice over opinions expressed by strangers on the Internet who know very little about the matter.

I suspect your lawyer wants to have the appearance of normal hours and childcare to remove the possibility of any complaint.
If the suggestions made are not reasonable options for you then discuss with your lawyer and consider other options.

As for your current overnight job, the child is asleep the entire time you are gone and has an adult family member present for supervision. If the child was with his father instead then it is reasonable to say the only difference is which adult supervises a sleeping child. I don't see that as a significant matter the court will be concerned with.

Thanks because my current lawyer wants me to find a daytime job and put my son in daycare, and I told him that I'll spend less time with my son when he's in daycare then I'm doing how.

I don't know all the facts of your situation, so take that into account.
I am not your attorney, so don't act on anything i say without further study on your part.

I do know that many parents work 3rd shift and have no trouble raising their child(ren).

From what you describe you are a very good parent.

You have a schedule for you and your child and rigorously enforce it.

You didn't mention days off, but add those in and you are with your child far more than most parents.

In fact, other than when he's asleep, you're actively supervising the child.

You also work for a living, rather than beg, as many people do these days.

I can't understand why anyone would advise you to place a child in day care when it isn't necessary.

If I were you, I'd talk to a couple other lawyers, FEMALE lawyers to learn what they would advise.

Once you do that, make a decision accordingly.

Back