1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

How do I practice my legal right to live in a tent without getting the police to mess with me

Discussion in 'Moving In & Out, Movers' started by Anna Loboda, Aug 12, 2019 at 4:00 AM.

1. Anna Loboda

Anna Loboda Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    This is not a rant or anything, I seriously want to know how to avoid getting the cops to harass me when I leave and buy a tent to go live on the streets. Some people might make some lies to get me unwanted “help”. Would going to the police station first and telling them that I just want be left alone and that I am safe help?

2. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Living "on the streets" will always lead to police contact as you will almost always be trespassing, loitering, or squatting.
    How to avoid contact? Live in your tent on property you either own or have permission to be on.
    The tent is not the issue- it is the location that will lead to problems.

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Aside from everything written the prior response, all of which I agree with:

When you leave what? Are you concerned about being "harassed" simply for buying a tent or for "liv[ing] on the streets"? Which specific streets are you talking about? Do you have permission to live on these streets? If so, who gave you that permission? In the subject header of your post, you referred to a "legal right to live in a tent." What makes you think you have such a right?

We have no way of knowing because you've provided no context whatsoever.

4. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

Homelessness is a problem and wonder whether that is your reason for setting up a tent in public spaces. There are homeless shelters and I wonder if any state provides homeless areas outdoors where you can set up your tent. I consider the potential for problems legal liability that might surround such an arrangement. Perhaps you can share more as to what you're trying to accomplish and why this is what you'd like to do. We don't know the state or area - perhaps you can help us understand?

You can probably sleep in your tent without issue in designated public camping areas in parks, such as on federal park land. However, there are probably rules against staying in one area indefinitely and being subject to limitations.

5. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Active Member

A look at the OP's posting history does shed some light on why he/she may want to live on the street.

justblue likes this.
  6. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

California, per the OP

In addition to the rules against staying in one area indefinitely, there are also rules about paying to stay.

Michael Wechsler likes this.
  7. justblue

justblue Active Member

Oh yes! Posting history gives a bit of insight into the life of this charming OP.

8. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

You have a right to live in a tent if you wish. You do not have a right to pitch your tent anywhere you want.

The way to avoid police involvement is to be sure that you own the land where you pitch the tent, or that you have the written permission of the owner available for the police to see.

9. flyingron

flyingron Active Member

Many zoning ordiances prohibit "permanent" residence in a tent even on your own property.

10. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Perhaps as importantly, it reveals that the OP has started 7 threads at this site and never once posted a follow up in any of those threads.

justblue and cbg like this.
  11. PayrollHRGuy

That too.

12. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Some people enjoy camping out, the beautiful moonlight, fresh air, the sounds of nature, the freedom to be as one with Mother Nature.

Ah yes, the great outdoors is great.

13. justblue

justblue Active Member

Oh yes. Camping out in Vegas this time of year is just wonderful... :p

14. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

One person's garbage is another person's treasure.

Oh the great outdoors beckons many of us, while others prefer more comfortable digs.

To each their own.

If one enjoys "tent living", have at it.

Personally I didn't enjoy the army version of "camping", bivouacking.

Alas, we tend to do what we must.

15. PayrollHRGuy

I know a guy who is out in the desert camping, not 50 miles (as the crow flies) from Vegas, at this very moment.

o_O He is crazy. He also goes up in the Mountains in the middle of winter to camp.

16. justblue

justblue Active Member

God bless him...it's going up to 112+ over the next few days.

17. PayrollHRGuy

God may well meet his soon rather than later if he keeps doing this stuff.

18. justblue

justblue Active Member

Yeah...Why does he do it? Just one of those "extreme" types?

19. PayrollHRGuy

Yes and always has been. It was one thing when he was 20 but that was 30 years ago.

20. justblue

justblue Active Member

If he tells you he's going hiking on Mt. Washington in Nov...plan on taking time off for his funeral. :(