1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

How do I practice my legal right to live in a tent without getting the police to mess with me

Discussion in 'Moving In & Out, Movers' started by Anna Loboda, Aug 12, 2019.

1. cynthiag

cynthiag Active Member

My husband always speaks rather fondly of his days in the Army National Guard, "camping" in really rough terrain, in all kinds of weather.

However, if he wanted to go camping these days, he'd settle for nothing less than a fully-equipped RV! :)

army judge likes this.
  2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

I am 12 days shy of my 54th birthday and NEVER spent the night in a tent. I'm with your hubby...A beautiful RV is the only way to camp. ;)

3. cynthiag

cynthiag Active Member

People find it odd that after growing up and living all my life in Alaska where we have an abundance of nature surrounding us and there is a lot of camping, I had never slept in a tent until I was in my late 40's.

We did two separate road trips, about ten years apart, where we did some tent camping and after that I told my husband that I was done with tents. I find sleeping on the ground an absolutely miserable experience, and I wouldn't tent camp around here because of the abundance of bears.

If I want to see a bear "up close and personal", they wander through our neighborhood on a regular basis and we find evidence of them in our yard from time to time. Black bears don't usually attack people but I still want more than a flimsy tent between me and that aspect of nature!

4. KatDini

KatDini Well-Known Member

I took up tent camping again last year. My SO and I have been on a couple of adventures now.

5. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

You don't know what you're missing. I'm eight years older than you and I've spent many a vacation tent camping. Probably wouldn't do it now; the parts aren't as flexible as they used to be. But I loved tent camping for years.

army judge likes this.
  6. hrforme

hrforme Active Member

I slept the first (and only) time in a tent in the middle of a cornfield in Kentucky during the solar eclipse a few years ago because it was one of the best places in the US to see the longest eclipse (DS is an astro-nerd)....next time I'm getting a hotel room! I am way too old for tent camping!

army judge likes this.
  7. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

So this is now basically the "let's tell our camping stories" thread?

hrforme likes this.
  8. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

Might as well be since the OP hasn't been back since their 3 am post.

hrforme likes this.