How do I practice my legal right to live in a tent without getting the police to mess with me

Personally I didn't enjoy the army version of "camping", bivouacking.

Alas, we tend to do what we must.

My husband always speaks rather fondly of his days in the Army National Guard, "camping" in really rough terrain, in all kinds of weather.

However, if he wanted to go camping these days, he'd settle for nothing less than a fully-equipped RV! :)

My husband always speaks rather fondly of his days in the Army National Guard, "camping" in really rough terrain, in all kinds of weather.

However, if he wanted to go camping these days, he'd settle for nothing less than a fully-equipped RV! :)
I am 12 days shy of my 54th birthday and NEVER spent the night in a tent. I'm with your hubby...A beautiful RV is the only way to camp. ;)

People find it odd that after growing up and living all my life in Alaska where we have an abundance of nature surrounding us and there is a lot of camping, I had never slept in a tent until I was in my late 40's.

We did two separate road trips, about ten years apart, where we did some tent camping and after that I told my husband that I was done with tents. I find sleeping on the ground an absolutely miserable experience, and I wouldn't tent camp around here because of the abundance of bears.

If I want to see a bear "up close and personal", they wander through our neighborhood on a regular basis and we find evidence of them in our yard from time to time. Black bears don't usually attack people but I still want more than a flimsy tent between me and that aspect of nature!

I took up tent camping again last year. My SO and I have been on a couple of adventures now.

I am 12 days shy of my 54th birthday and NEVER spent the night in a tent. I'm with your hubby...A beautiful RV is the only way to camp. ;)

You don't know what you're missing. I'm eight years older than you and I've spent many a vacation tent camping. Probably wouldn't do it now; the parts aren't as flexible as they used to be. But I loved tent camping for years.

I slept the first (and only) time in a tent in the middle of a cornfield in Kentucky during the solar eclipse a few years ago because it was one of the best places in the US to see the longest eclipse (DS is an astro-nerd)....next time I'm getting a hotel room! I am way too old for tent camping!

Back