How Do I Find Out If I am Adopted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana567

How do I find out if I am adopted?

I would be a Late Discovery Adoptee.

I was diagnosed with a genetic disease, [in this case, it comes from either parent and is very inheritable] but NO ONE in the family has it. I had suspicions for years I was adopted. No one will tell me anything. I have tried.

I did get birth certificate and it has odd annotations written on it and looks altered.

If I petition court do I do it in home state? I was born in Wash DC. That is where the birth certificate is from.

Is there any source of information where I can go to find out if I was adopted for sure or not before I begin long expensive search. The diagnosis of the genetic disease is a sure thing.

What kind of lawyer or help could I see for his issue? I am low income. I need medical information, too, I have multiple serious health problem even beyond this diagnosis. I could prove in a court of law easily I need medical information. Having this diagnosis delayed did cause me severe damage.

Last edited:
What are the odd notations on the birth certificate? In what way does it look altered?

FYI, when a child is adopted they do not "alter" the original birth certificate. They seal the original and issue a new one with the new name of the child and the names of the adoptive parents.

You could purchase a few home (do it yourself) DNA test kits.
I hear you can order the kits online.
They can also be purchased in many larger retail outlets and fine drug stores everywhere.
You then collect the DNA of people you suspect.
So far, this requires no lawyer to help you.
Once you have collected the necessary DNA, you conduct the tests.
The DNA kit will provide you full instructions.
Voila, you now have the answers you were seeking.
Or, you might have many more questions.

I'll add one last thought.
You can't force people to answer your questions.
If you knew right now what you think you need to know, you might find more disappointment when they refuse to even acknowledge you.
Life is and always will be a puzzle.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I know it might seem pedantic but there is a massive difference between "genetic" and "hereditary". If you can share the condition, I can certainly take a look.

There are strange notations, like letters on it and abbrievations on it [ssd is one]. Also everything is marked with hashtags and not checks or an "X"

You could purchase a few home (do it yourself) DNA test kits.
I hear you can order the kits online.
They can also be purchased in many larger retail outlets and fine drug stores everywhere.
You then collect the DNA of people you suspect.
So far, this requires no lawyer to help you.
Once you have collected the necessary DNA, you conduct the tests.
The DNA kit will provide you full instructions.
Voila, you now have the answers you were seeking.
Or, you might have many more questions.

I'll add one last thought.
You can't force people to answer your questions.
If you knew right now what you think you need to know, you might find more disappointment when they refuse to even acknowledge you.
Life is and always will be a puzzle.

Good luck.

I have considered DNA tests but am estranged from majority of the family. I could get maybe DNA sample from a brother but I haven't seen him in 5 years so this is very difficult stuff. I found out you can't just sneak a hair out of hairbrush in the bathroom, they need that root and all. These are secretive people who do not want me to find out. Most will not do any willing tests.

Isn't there a place I can go where they can tell me if I am ADOPTED OR NOT?

Last edited:
I know it might seem pedantic but there is a massive difference between "genetic" and "hereditary". If you can share the condition, I can certainly take a look.

I can't share it here, because it is so rare, my identity could be found out. I know for certain it is genetic, and have participated on health boards regarding it, where every person on there, has relatives with the condition. I do not. It is autosomal dominant, direct inheritances. As inheritable as Huntington's Chorea if that helps explain.

The fact remains that when a child is adopted a completely new birth certificate is issued; they do not alter the old one. Nothing you have described on the copy of your certificate suggests that an adoption took place or that your original certificate was altered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back