How do I file for a change in my custody agreement by myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstennant

I am in desperate need of an attorney to help me file for full custody for my two daughters but I cannot afford the upfront $500-$700 fee that they all want to start the case. They are in a horrid situation and their mother hs even been reported to SS and want take them to school on a regular basis. Does anyone know how I can find a lawyer near my city and state (Rocky Mount, NC) that will let me make payments or something like that? Please dont think that I cannot afford to take care of my daughters because I can and it will be even easier when the $700 a month child support payments (that support her drug and alcohol habit) would end. If I go get the paperwork for a change of custody (or whatever its called) and file it myself, I still have to go through the mandatory family mediation and then go to court. So, this would give me time to save for a lawyer. But how do I do this? Where do I get the paperwork? Do I stand a chance if she comes to mediation with a lawer even if he's inexperienced and cheap when I dont have one at all? I hate going forth without a lawyer but this may be my only option.

Do you qualify for legal aid and have you called them? Somehow find a way to beg and borrow the money for an attorney. You also might want to contact some fathers rights groups in your state. No attorney is going to take this case for free most likely unless you can prove the kids are in danger. What happened with the social services investigation? Was it substantiated? You can go down to the local courts and use their law library. See is there is any help there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back