How do I become legally empancipated from my parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allykatz3

I am 16 years old, turning 17 in two months. I live by myself in a room in a house I have rented and am currently on Ontario Works until I finish high school and start a job. I would like to know how to legally empancipate myself from my parents so I may be considered an adult and able to sign documents pretaining to my welfare. I haven't lived with my parents since I was 12 years old but they are still my legal guardians so I was hoping someone could tell me how to get this done.

Until you tell us what US state you live in, we cannot.

If you live in Canada, we have no experts on Canadian law (which is not the same as US law) on this forum.

Well thanks.... alot for that. Wow.

Hmm... the site is supposed to require you to provide your state before a question is asked. I realize that the new forums missed that tag. The reason for this is because the answer to your question depends upon the state you are in! :)

Look, emancipation law varies from state to state. Not all states will emancipate a minor in the first place, and in the second place the requirements are not the same in those states that will. If we don't know what state you're in, we don't know what state's rules to tell you.

i am 16 and living in douglas georgia and can i be emancipated from my parents at the age of 17?
reasons are domestic abuse , my dad beating on my step mom and i called the cops but thin when they got their nothing was done about it because she denied it and he has a history of being violent can i get emancipated when i turn 17. dont want to live here and i want my leaving to be legal.

doesnt want to live like this anymore

i am 16 and living in douglas georgia and can i be emancipated from my parents at the age of 17?
reasons are domestic abuse , my dad beating on my step mom and i called the cops but thin when they got their nothing was done about it because she denied it and he has a history of being violent can i get emancipated when i turn 17. dont want to live here and i want my leaving to be legal.

Chris you might want to start your own topics so your not confused with the original poster

idk how but i am only looking for an answer because its somethin i been working toward and i now just neeed to know if it is legal or not and yes i live int he us but i just need an answer to my question.

Chris, really - you need to start your own thread.

But basically, you have virtually no chance of being emancipated for the reasons you've given. You need to be able to fully support yourself completely including having enough money to pay market rent (not $100/month to a friend for renting a room), utilities, food, clothing, health insurance, transportation...

...so what kind of work do you do, and how are your grades?

first disagreeable u can take that bs over the bridge cause just becaue i dont spend 20 minuts rereading my typing dont mean anything and that really imature cause i just needed one question answered so disagreeable go to hell. but Proserpina thank you for answering my question you have really been great help.

Even if you managed by some stroke of luck to be able to provide food, clothing, shelter and health insurance for yourself, while still going to high school, you obviously lack the maturity to manage personal and social affairs required by statute.

first disagreeable u can take that bs over the bridge cause just becaue i dont spend 20 minuts rereading my typing dont mean anything and that really imature cause i just needed one question answered so disagreeable go to hell. but Proserpina thank you for answering my question you have really been great help.
I understand that you are in a predicament - we don't know the details. However, please do understand that many teenagers come here all the time asking about emancipation as if it's just like shedding curfew. It's not. It means that you're really on your own and your parents are not required by law to help you. You're free to struggle on your own with whatever skills you may have, which may or may not be enough to survive. The friends you may have that promise you things may not come through. We've seen it. Your best bet would be to try to understand that the people here are giving you advice as they see it and have a few years on you. It's disappointing that many of today's teenagers can't even work in a newspaper writing news articles because their inability to write with reasonably proper grammar makes them useless for that work - and typically a good deal of office work. I hope you take time to think about what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back