hourly pay and 12 hour shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkinprogress

In California many nurses work 12 shifts and are paid at straight time legally. I would like to know how healthcare employers were able to get this unique provision and does it extend to non clinical nursing positions. i have worked as an administrative supervisor in a non-clinical position and was just told I might be entitled to time and a half for the last 4 hours of my shifts. All of the managers are paid salary. We fall in a gray zone. our clinical nurses are in a union. Anybody know?

There are no circumstances under Federal law where a non-exempt employee is entitled by law to anything in terms of overtime beyond time and a half for hours worked over 40. Nothing in Federal law ever requires double time and nothing in Federal law requires any form of overtime based on the number of hours worked in a single day.

California law, however, does require overtime at the rate of time and a half for hours worked over 8 in a day, and double time for hours worked over 12 in a day.

All that being said, there are multiple exceptions to CA law based on what wage order you are under. For a definite answer as to what you are due in terms of overtime you will need to contact the CA DLSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back