Hotel entered my room after i go out

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvjoy

The hotel i'm staying at entered my room on several occasions. Without my knowledge, this seemed suspicious to me, since they always wait for me to leave before they would enter. They never attempt to access while i'm at the hotel. I also have expressed to them, my point is that i should be present, unless it's an emergency.
I asked who gave the authorization to enter my room?
The manager said, they have the right to access my room 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

Is this true?

Aren't they required to notify me? In advance?

I've been at this hotel for 3months, does the longevity make a difference?

Why not move?

There are lots of hotels out there, pal.

They're in the wrong.

But, you prove it, what do you get?

It's time to move.

anything missing?? Its very typical for housekeeping to enter your room on a dailey basis. If you do not want them in there to do their job then hang the do not disturb on your door. If you want total privacey then rent an apartment where there is no housekeeping.

You are now a tenant!

LUVJOY:

Yes, it does indeed and to borrow a line prevalent in the credit counseling/repair radio commercials, it is a secret "that the (hotel) doesn't want you to know!" And what I am out to say here, I went through and experienced first- hand and in person and in its full litigious glory.

In 2005, I was a guest at a motel here in San Diego where I needed to stay for a while longer than the three weeks I had originally anticipated my stay would take. But after week three, the motel told me in order to continue staying there, I had to "check out" for 24 hours and then check back in. I didn't think much of it at the time and just checked into another motel where the same check-out & check-in line was fed to me and that is when I got curious and did an extensive search of California Codes, and eh voila, there it was!

Basically, what it comes down to is this; if you stay at a motel or a hotel in California continuously for 30 days or more, your status from being a guest changes to that of a tenant, making both you and the hotel (or motel) subject to California's Landlord-Tenant laws and it is illegal for the a hotel or motel to force a guest out before 30 days if the reason for it is to "circumvent" the Code and prevent you becoming a tenant. What the hotel is doing now is passive harassment, hoping that you get fed up and leave before you are wise to the fact that you are a tenant with all the rights and protections afforded to you by the law.

So, congratulations, you are now, and have been for 60 days now, a tenant, and you can go to the desk and tell the manager that neither he nor any agent or person associated with the hotel, can enter your room wily-nily any longer and that he has to follow the landlord-tenant laws and provide you with advance notice and they better have a good reason for it as well.

And what happened in my case and the second motel where they told me to check-out and check back in? Well, when I informed them politely that they were breaking the law and they laughed at me, I filed suit immediately on basis of violation of California Code (and some other causes of action which I won't bore you with) and asked for emergency injunctive relief. And about two hours after service of process on the motel, I received a call from their corporate attorney who told me I could stay there as long as I wanted and apologized for any "inconvenience" caused.

If you decide to call them on it, let me know and I will send you all the pertinent information.

fredrikklaw

Fredrik.....I did not know that, thanks for the info. I think they just passed a law here in VA thats sorta the same.

Whether guest or tenant, you have the same expectation of privacy when renting the room. The question here seems to be what notice was given to the management to not make entry, and whether the OP took the simple step of posting the sign on his door which is the obvious sign to staff to stay out.

To fredriklaw:
Outstanding response, Thank you so much!

the DO NOT DISTURB sign is posted everytime i leave my room. They wait till I leave, then enter my room. this has nothing to do with cleaning, the policy for cleaning in this hotel is, i must signup for the service they provide which is a weekly service at best.

They turn off the lights, but one time they left the stove light on. i never use the stove light!
Another time they didn't return the DO NOT DISTURB sign, to the door slot.

I couldn't get management to ever come to my room when i was in the room. Which i did attempt to get them to check a leak from upstairs, it was dripping through the sprinkler and a light fixture in our kitchette, for 3 days. I called twice on Saturday, i was told by the Asst GM that nobody was available untill Monday. So on Monday they waited until i left the room in the afternoon, then entered again. i asked why they didn't respond for three days, then when i leave you enter my room. The asst GM said she can enter my room 24/7. So i asked what was done in my room, she couldn't tell me.

they wouldn't even respond, they always said it wasn't a problem. It's no big deal, that pipes leak! and they would laugh at us!
I finally got someone to respond, from the management in the hotel, he just arrived a week ago.
He apologized, he said it was certainly a problem. He immediately moved us out of the MOLD room. i thought the mold grew to quick, it must be in the walls.
there was mold on our ceiling, below our sink, over the bathtub. from a leak one month ago.
I took alot of pictures from all angles
The person sent said he was a plumber, i thought he should be from a mold remediation company??
I also thought the guidelines in california were strict concerning mold remediation.

he said to me the mold isn't dangerous because "It's Wet" now the plumber is a mold expert!

So then i asked his name since he entered my room. This plumber wouldn't even give his name! then he proceded to tell me if i have a problem i should talk to the assisstant GM. The assisstant GM is the very person responsible for people entering my room. she insists she can enter anytime day or night 24 hours 7 days a week.

So i go to the front desk, the asst GM, threatened to call the police today, i said call the police, because not only did you let another person in my room, this person was in my room alone and he's not even a employee of the hotel!

Then, she decided NOT to call the police.

The asst GM has lied repeatedly in the past. Can i record the conversation as long as i hold the recorder in plain view? do i need to tell them? or Ask their permission. I record to document conversations.

they don't give a reason for entering, it's not room service.
What i know is the Asst GM is accessing our room when we leave. I have objected to this and her response is "I can enter your room 24/7 and I don't need provide you any notice".

not that you should have to but if they do not stop then I would find another place to rest my head.

Luvjoy-
I believe what Gail was asking you is what are your damages? What do expect the hotel to do to make things right?
As Bluemann33 pointed out, your simplest solution is to find another place to stay.
It sounds like they are entering your room when they shouldn't be, but if you do not have any actual damages or a loss then what you have is an inconvenience. Find a place that is more convenient for you.

If the issue you describe involves your repair request (i.e., checking for the source of leak) please be aware that they were responding to a request that you made.

This changes the issue. When a tenant requests that management address a repair issue that involves the inside of the rental unit, they give permission to enter the unit to address such repairs.

Unfortunately, sometimes repairs need to be made when the plumber (or other repair person) is available and not the tenant.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back