HIPPA Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melrox777

My jurisdiction is: Virginia

My jurisdiction is: Virginia, United States

Hi, I am new to this so hopefully you can answer my question, I just posted it as a reply to another question but thought that was a mistake so I just started my own thread...

I just filed bankruptcy and included a dentist's office in it. I had to go to a new dentist because of this and when my new dentist's office called my old dentist's office simply to ask when I had my last cleaning, the receptionist at the old dentist's office proceeded to tell the receptionist at the new dentist's office that I owed them a balance. She went on to tell her the amount that I owed and how long it had been since I made a payment. The receptionist at my new dentist's office got very frustrated since she was just calling to check when my last cleaning was as I had already informed the new dentist's office that I filed bankruptcy and included the old dentist. She told me that this was a violation of HIPPA and I was just wondering if this was true and if so, what could I do about this. I don't think it is right to have my financial past revealed by someone who has no right to do so. Plus it brings up the point of how many other people have they done this to. Please help!

HIPAA is NOT only medical information. It also pertains to account numbers, medical record numbers, AND account balances. This is indeed a HIPAA violation.

Questionable at best. There was no electronic transfer of information and it was related to an authorized transaction - that of passing on the dental records.

The requirement is that the minimum of information be transferred to complete the task at hand. Also, the HIPAA laws extend to verbal communication, and are not limited to hard or electronic copies/communication.

Information relating to providing care (cleaning teeth) could be transferred verbally or otherwise between providers without the need for a release. Information not required to complete the task at hand (account balances), cannot be discussed without a release of information being completed.

Part of the original intent of HIPAA was to prevent financial information from preventing patient care.

There are two routes for the reporting of a potential HIPAA violation. A complaint may be made to the dentist office where the violation was considered to have occurred, or a complaint may be made to the nearest federal office of civil rights. Either way, a formal investigation will be completed and reported.

Recently, the fine for a facility found to have violated HIPAA was increased from $100 to $1000 per occurrence. Soon, it looks as though the patient in question will be able to collect a percentage of that fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back