Help with Paternity Papres

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinL

My husbands ex wants him to sign over patrnity rights so her new husband can adopt the child they have together. What should we do? There is no extra money for an attorney? The ex told him that HE has to do it.

RobinL said:
My husbands ex wants him to sign over patrnity rights so her new husband can adopt the child they have together. What should we do? There is no extra money for an attorney? The ex told him that HE has to do it.
Since when does a parent have to sign over the rights to one's own child? Sounds like scare tactics to me. It sounds like there is a lot going on here we don't know, is there? I wish your husband good luck as child custody is never an easy issue.

Why in the world does your husband want to do this? does he have a relationship with this child? You just cannot sign over rights just because mom is being difficult. an attorney would have to get involved, but I would not listen to her. He is the dad and he does have rights to a relationship and visitation with the child. If mom is withholding visitation then dad needs to file contempt charges in court.

Your husband can have a relationship with his child. If he doesn't want to sign over his rights, don't do it. If she wants it done, make her get an attorney. If it was me, I would consult an attorney to know your rights. Some attorney's will consult the first time for free. Find one who does family law- child support, visitation, etc.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back