Help w/ understanding possible court order for medical coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnc512

Hi, I am a single 22 year old mom. I am receiving state assistance with insurance for myself and son. My son is 5 months old and is a handicapped child who will need extensive work. I am only able to work 15 hours per week due to having to bring my son to physical therapy and shortage of avaliable work due to economy as well. I recieved a letter from the state saying that i am going to be served to appear in court to determine paternity of my son. Now my concern is I dont know who the father is. During the time of my sons conception I was away for a holiday week vacation with my friend. We went around partying and going to clubs, frat parties, etc in NYC. I had a hook up or two with guys I dont even know who they were, we were all a little too drunk, and did things that i shouldnt have done. Never did i think i would go home and 2 months later find out I was pregnant form my little adventure in NYC. Now if I have no idea of who the guy was, no name no nothing, how can the court order to find out paternity and medical coverage from the father, if i don't know who it is? ANd will they believe me, because trust me If i knew i would be lookign for child support, medical coverage, and for him to be partially responcible, but with no name, no idea where he was from, where he lives and only a vague idea of what he could of looked liked, and even that im not sure on, because i want to say there were 2 guys i was with over that week, but not positive. Can they drop my insurance benefits because of that? or how could they go about finding out who the father is?

Because you have gone on state assistance, you have to identify the father so they can go after him for support. You cannot live off taxpayer assistance this way. Your story is not really believable I mean who gets pregnant, and keeps the baby from a total stranger whos name they do not even know? The state can drop your coverage, or fine you. It is up to the judge but it;s time to figure out a way to support this child without state help. Many women in your situation would not have even kept the child. I am not trying to be insensive but you cannot expect to have tax payers support your child and not identify the father. You might have to go off of state help. There are jobs out there. You might be able to apply for daycare assistance so you can work and get benefits. So I do not know what the judge will do, but start coming up with a backup plan.

That's a little mean.
Maybe she's against abortions, and took responsibility for her actions.

That's a little weird that you have insurance still. they take you off insurance 60 days after the baby is born in Georgia..Maybe Rhode Island is different, and the baby stays on for a year or two..

You most likely would qualify for assisted day care that all depends on your income an how many hours you work. I use it. I have to work at least 26 hours a week..And only pay 27 dollars a week instead of 150.

I would guess that they would most likely drop yours but not your sons. They are probably looking for the father because how much it's costing them for your sons disability. But that's what medicaid does regardless. Alot of the time when you start child suport they will take it out of the checks you recieve. BUt I don't think they would just stop it. Obviously they are going after him not you.

She didn't really take responsibility, she is having tax payers support the kid. How a judge handles this is up to him/her. Out here in AZ a prostitute was on state assistance and the father of her kid was a regular john. The judge made her identify him or she faced a fine of $100 a day. This is a complicated case but he John eventually got custody of the child due to the mom being in jail.

Most women would abort, or adopt out a child that they have no idea who the father is and no financial means to raise it.

Sure whatever you say guys.

I love reading your replies Duraine
:) But this one threw me off.

Last edited:
You cannot keep the father of your child anonymous once you depend on tax payers to support it. I have no idea how a court is going to react but I imagine yes they could stop her cash assistance at least, if she cannot identify him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back