Health issues reviled during a job reference call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippedover

Recently I had a health issues requiring a short recovery time from work, not work related. I went on a short job interview while I was off. I had scheduled it before I knew I would be off on sick leave. The interview went very well and I was qualified for the job with more than 20 years of experience. The job was at the same place that a new VP came from at my current employer who I reported to. To be honest I did not even think about it being a problem. When I checked in with my VP a few days later she was livid and mentioned how could I go to an interview when I was off work? Indirectly indicating I was on Workers Compensation stress leave. She mentioned stress several times during the exchange. On the Monday after the interview she was called by my potential employer, someone she knew. During or phone altercation she kept mentioning "How could you not know that I would find out you went on an interview, I know all of them". Tuesday morning I got an email from the web site I had to put my application in stating that I would not get the position. This is a government position and nothing in the hiring process happens that fast, not even close. Also it is customary to call an applicant who came in for an interview to let them know they did not get the position. Apparently she expressed her displeasure about be taking time off and that I was off work all of the time; the woman had only been there six months. Before this issue I had only taken 3 sick days over the past 7 years with the employer. I did miss out on a position that would have been very rewarding personally for me.
I don't know if I have any legal recourse or not.

No, you have no legal recourse, but you're always FREE to speak with a few attorneys in the county where you reside or work.

Recently I had a health issues requiring a short recovery time from work, not work related. I went on a short job interview while I was off. I had scheduled it before I knew I would be off on sick leave. The interview went very well and I was qualified for the job with more than 20 years of experience. The job was at the same place that a new VP came from at my current employer who I reported to. To be honest I did not even think about it being a problem. When I checked in with my VP a few days later she was livid and mentioned how could I go to an interview when I was off work? Indirectly indicating I was on Workers Compensation stress leave. She mentioned stress several times during the exchange. On the Monday after the interview she was called by my potential employer, someone she knew. During or phone altercation she kept mentioning "How could you not know that I would find out you went on an interview, I know all of them". Tuesday morning I got an email from the web site I had to put my application in stating that I would not get the position. This is a government position and nothing in the hiring process happens that fast, not even close. Also it is customary to call an applicant who came in for an interview to let them know they did not get the position. Apparently she expressed her displeasure about be taking time off and that I was off work all of the time; the woman had only been there six months. Before this issue I had only taken 3 sick days over the past 7 years with the employer. I did miss out on a position that would have been very rewarding personally for me.
I don't know if I have any legal recourse or not.

The employer has no obligation to call applicants.

If you were well enough to go on a job interview and perform well, it does call into question why you were not able to work. That is the red flag. Yes, if the current VP is from that company it is a sure bet that they would call that VP to get an assessment of your skills. The problem is with you being too sick to come into work but not too sick to go on interviews. That raises all kinds of red flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back