guardianship decisions in NC

Nicholas Bell

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I have a question regarding the decisions that are made by guardians of the person for adults with developmental disabilities in NC. I have worked in the field of human services for 26 years in a variety of jobs, always as part of an interdisciplinary team. I have met many guardians over the years and have regular contact with many of them on a weekly basis. I am no expert on guardianship but I am aware of the process. The competency hearing for the supported individual happens first and then guardianship is assigned to someone, usually a family member. My concern is with the other individuals who are assigned guardianship, specifically non-family members. I have found no criteria that have to be met concerning education, experience, clinical expertise or background in order for someone to be assigned as a legal guardian of the person. I reviewed the site for the North Carolina Guardianship Association and they do not seem to have any formal authority over guardians. Often decisions are made by a guardian that serve an agenda, and have nothing to do with the health, safety and well-being of the supported ward. Guardians seem to have a broad range of powers and have often overridden the decisions of an interdisciplinary team. What legal recourse to team members have in these situations? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It would seem, based upon your recitation of the issue that, your recourse is to bring your concerns to the attention of your state legislators and/or the governor.

Back