Grandparent being taken advantage of?

Asilentarc

Jurisdiction
Texas
Very long story. Basically my grandmothers 2nd husband passed away well over a year ago and she is supposed to receive a large sum(roughly $210,000) that is the interest of his estate(investments) during the time they were married. She now lives with her daughter in Texas and there is also a son who lives in the same retirement community park. The son and daughter both are habitual gamblers and have pretty much never been self sufficient their entire lives. Grandmother is getting upset that she hasn't received her money yet because the son and daughter keep telling her and everyone else the money is "tied up in court" and should be released anytime. It's been months and months and months she's been told this. I just found out that the so called attorney that handled her estate is a gambling friend of the son!! I was told the following in quotes by the son himself: "They have been friends for many years and they meet on weekends with a group to play poker for money." I was also told by an ex husband of the daughter that years earlier the son and attorney friend pulled a fast one on grandmother when she lived in another state. They basically convinced her that she had to file bankruptcy but she had to keep making payments on the old house until the bankruptcy went through. But I was told the payments were not going to the bank but the son and possibly the attorney.
I know it's a lot to digest but where would I start looking to find out why her money is being held up? And how on earth could I investigate this new claim about the old house scam? My biggest concern is I don't want her taken advantage in that way and I don't know where to start to look for answers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

where would I start looking to find out why her money is being held up? And how on earth could I investigate this new claim about the old house scam?

You might start by reporting what you THINK you know to the law enforcement agency in her jurisdiction, the county attorney, district attorney, and/or the state elder care agency charged with protecting senior citizens.

Very long story. Basically my grandmothers 2nd husband passed away well over a year ago and she is supposed to receive a large sum(roughly $210,000) that is the interest of his estate(investments) during the time they were married. She now lives with her daughter in Texas and there is also a son who lives in the same retirement community park. The son and daughter both are habitual gamblers and have pretty much never been self sufficient their entire lives. Grandmother is getting upset that she hasn't received her money yet because the son and daughter keep telling her and everyone else the money is "tied up in court" and should be released anytime. It's been months and months and months she's been told this. I just found out that the so called attorney that handled her estate is a gambling friend of the son!! I was told the following in quotes by the son himself: "They have been friends for many years and they meet on weekends with a group to play poker for money." I was also told by an ex husband of the daughter that years earlier the son and attorney friend pulled a fast one on grandmother when she lived in another state. They basically convinced her that she had to file bankruptcy but she had to keep making payments on the old house until the bankruptcy went through. But I was told the payments were not going to the bank but the son and possibly the attorney.
I know it's a lot to digest but where would I start looking to find out why her money is being held up? And how on earth could I investigate this new claim about the old house scam? My biggest concern is I don't want her taken advantage in that way and I don't know where to start to look for answers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Why don't you go to the probate court in the county where her husband live or contact the probate court by phone or internet and find out if probate was ever opened, when, and ask for a copy of the file.

If it was never opened, then there is a better than good chance that the son and attorney misappropriated (stole) the assets.

Thank you all for your help. I live about a 24 hr drive from their county so I couldn't investigate in person. I spent a great deal of time last night digging through their county website and I was able to locate every single document and step of the process on the county records page. Everything they are telling us about the settlement is true. It is still tied up in court waiting on the investment firm to mail the settlement check directly to the courts. I was even able to see the official order sent to the investment company by the court. I have to admit I feel so much better finding out the truth. Sorry if I was a bother, I just had no idea where to start. As far as the bankruptcy that happened years ago I still have to do some digging on that. But I'm relieved to find this much out. Thank you all for your help.

Back