Giving up Parental rights as Custodial Parent

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelady

14 year old daughter has been in foster care for one year, after asking for help with her raunning away from home. She has decided that she does not want to come back home becuase she gets all of these materialistics things that she want; that I cannot provide. It has been relayed to me that it is will be recommended to the court that she stay in permantent foster care and unification be terminated. Can I at this point request my parental rights terminated also. This is too frustrating for me.

Sorry that this is too frustrating to you but she is your daughter and frankly, it's pretty low of you to wish to give up your parental rights to her simply so you can get on with your life.

I doubt there's a parent around who hasn't had big problems with their teenage children; and yes, it's tempting to want to run away and go live on a south sea island without them. This doesn't mean you do this.

Often these issues are temporary and there is likely to come a time when things WILL improve with your daughter. Don't throw away your parental responsibilities despite whatever justification you can come up with to do this. You need to be in her life, even if it's on the fringes of this right now.

Gail

This thread is over 2 years old. For some reason, danielthomas has a propensity for resurrecting dead threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back