Giving a cop the middle finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitedoe

For many years Police Department has been following me. They drive by my house several times a day. Recently, they came into my yard, and gave me tickets for my window tint on my car. The police officer came right into my face and accused me of being on drugs.
I have never had any issues with the tint on my car before, until a few hours after I "gave the finger" to an officer. Nowhere in any law book does it say that I can not "give the finger" to a police officer. It is not against the law. When they got to my house, they drove around, slowly in front, and when I pulled in they came up behind me and looked for anything to give me a ticket on. They said the tint on my car is 46%, when Minnesota law has a legal tint of 50% with a margin of error of +/- 3%.
The police officer gave me two violations. One for Window tint, and one for Window tint sticker required. He left and returned a while later and gave me a second ticket/revised ticket. This ticket has a different time from the original, along with a few other differences. When he gave me the original ticket, he gave me the officers copy, and the complaint copy, along with the summons. My dad was home at this time, and he told my dad to tell me that I should not "give the finger to a Cold Spring Police Officer".
He has been nothing but the harassing type. He threatened to put both myself and my father in jail when we stood our ground. I feel my first Ammendment right was violated and I was harassed when the police officers circled my house and waited for me to get home after I had given one of them "the finger"

You are free to flip the bird at an officer if you want. But, just as calling a person names might, do not be surprised if it draws attention to you.

While you are free to flip the bird, the police are free to enforce the vehicle codes even if they have not done so in the past.

You are free to complain to the employing agency, and if you have the money you can even hire an attorney to sue the police department ... though, I suspect that without any real damages, no attorney will take up the matter, but ya never know.

Hmmm? Who today do I want to flip the bird to? The local cop or the local Hell's Angel thug?

Getting a ticket versus getting beat up? Now there is a dilemma...

For many years Police Department has been following me. They drive by my house several times a day. Recently, they came into my yard, and gave me tickets for my window tint on my car. The police officer came right into my face and accused me of being on drugs.
I have never had any issues with the tint on my car before, until a few hours after I "gave the finger" to an officer. Nowhere in any law book does it say that I can not "give the finger" to a police officer. It is not against the law. When they got to my house, they drove around, slowly in front, and when I pulled in they came up behind me and looked for anything to give me a ticket on. They said the tint on my car is 46%, when Minnesota law has a legal tint of 50% with a margin of error of +/- 3%.
The police officer gave me two violations. One for Window tint, and one for Window tint sticker required. He left and returned a while later and gave me a second ticket/revised ticket. This ticket has a different time from the original, along with a few other differences. When he gave me the original ticket, he gave me the officers copy, and the complaint copy, along with the summons. My dad was home at this time, and he told my dad to tell me that I should not "give the finger to a Cold Spring Police Officer".
He has been nothing but the harassing type. He threatened to put both myself and my father in jail when we stood our ground. I feel my first Ammendment right was violated and I was harassed when the police officers circled my house and waited for me to get home after I had given one of them "the finger"

Offering the middle finger salute to anyone is never a smart thing to do.

However, it is constitutionally protected FREE SPEECH.

Problem is for the saluter, its hard to enforce constitutional protections at 2:00AM on 3rd Avenue & Vine Street when surrounded by four angry, drunken thugs, or four angry, armed law enforcement officers!

You can do what my dad admonished us to do as kids, "Think it, don't say it or do it!"

Hey dude, paranoia is a sure sign of drug use. What are you smoking? Go ahead, flip the cops off. It is your constitutional right. I would warn you though that if a cop tries hard enough, he/she can find 20 thing to ticket/arrest you for that have nothing to do with flipping them off. Well not exactly.

I don't recall the section, but the Vehicle Code does specify a minimum tread depth for tires :)

Well I had to go look at my cheat sheet... it's VC 27465, minimum depth of 1/32 for most vehicles.

Last edited:
It has been many years since I felt the need to use that section ... but, then, I now deal with mostly Admin stuff. I have to look up the code sections when I am in the field - I'm getting old, I don't remember them all anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back