Given wrong information by my company's Humane Resourses dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickie204

Hi,
I have another post in discrimination/harrassment and this is part of that but not the same thing. I was given 6 months of back pay because my manager did not input my release from a medical leave of absence until six months after I was released even though I contacted him and HR constantly asking why I was still listed as being on LOA.

Anyway, I have been trying to get my back pay for a while now because they messed it all up. They actually deducted about 3/4 of my pay to pay for benefits I already paid for.

And, they are also trying to tell me I have to pay back some money that my company had direct deposited into my bank account. I went on LOA September 07 and I was very sick and did not notice the direct deposit of funds from my company until a couple of months later. I did not know what it was for because I was not supposed to receive a pay check for this LOA. So, I called the humane resources department and asked them why I was getting this money. The representative told me it was benefit pay from my 401K account. I was worried they were not right so I called again and received the same answer. I called a total of four times and spoke to four different people and they all told me the same thing. I asked them if they were absolutely sure that I was supposed to receive this money and not have to pay it back. They told me that I had nothing to worry about and I was supposed to receive that money.

Now, I have been trying to straighten out my back pay so they are having to review all my pay information back to 02/04/08 and they told me I was over paid by $3845.23 and they will have to deduct that from the amount they still owe me. I explained what their representatives had told me about the direct deposits and I have ticket numbers and I wrote everything down in my journal but the representative I was talking to, could not seem to be able to go back that far to see the notes about this. I know they tape all their calls and are supposed to log everything I said when I called and it produces a ticket number which they give you when you finish your call with them.

Is there anything I can do? I have been treated like a leper since I returned to work and my manager had pushed my return LOA return date from 02/04/08 to 07/21/08 and kept telling me there were no positions available even though they ahd at least 10 temporary employees working all that time. Company policy states an employee returning to work after an LOA, is to be returned to active work if there is any positions and before any temporary employee, as long as the regular employee returns to work within a two year time period. And, now the pay mess up is just one of many many wrongs I have endured from my manager and HR.

Can anyone please tell me what the laws are regarding this situation, if any???

Thank you!!!!
Chickie204 :(

Chickie - if you have been overpaid, the correct thing to do is to either reimburse the company or to have the amount deducted from anything the company owes you. If you don't, the company can file charges against you and/or have the balance collected by a third party. What I gather from your postings is that, unfortunately, the company you work for doesn't seem to want to give you the attention that you so much deserve however, let me ask you this - why stay with a company that doesn't show the same amount of reciprocity when it comes to your time and attention? why not find another job? I am sure change will be a good thing for you and maybe you can get the opportunities that you have not been able to get at your current employment. Hope this helps!

Hi,

Oh yes, I am going to give the company back their money, like I tried to do numerous times in the past. I am a very honest god fearing person and I always try my best to do the right thing, unless I am just not aware of something. I just think something needs to be done regarding their reps giving false information. They sent their resources to India and most of the time, you cannot understand them and about 75% of the time, they give erroneous information. I even had a couple of them hang up on me because they could not answer my question. The reason I do not just quit and find another job is, I have a chronic condition (Lyme Disease) which has plagued me for almost 20 years now. I need the medical benefits and one of the good things about this company is, they take care of their Employees after they retire or go out on total disability. We get to keep our medical, dental, etc. as long as we cover the amount the company does not.

It is really not so much the company as it is a few of the managers including mine. About 80% of the people working there, are not happy but most of them are long timers and do not want to lose their benefits, retirement, etc. The managers have been telling us they are going to have to lay people off however, they have been telling us that for two years.

Anyway, I had to literally dig the information out of HR regarding the fact that my manager told me for months that there were no jobs available. I called the HR dept. I don't know how many times asking them what the guidelines were concerning my situation and no one could ever give me an answer. I finally went to the local HR dept. after I was finally put to work on 08/04/08, six months after I was released by my doctor. Anyway, the lady in the local HR knew my manager had not done the correct thing and basically he lied and manipulated my records. I do not hold that against him because I am sure it came from his manager. All, I wanted was to be treated fairly.

I really appreciate your reply and I hope you have a wonderful afternoon!!

Chickie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back