Getting My Boss Fired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

trudooms

Recently my boss has been requesting overtime from my fellow associates. The problem is she is requesting this time off the clock and they are not getting paid for this. Our company does not allow overtime and she would be written up if this time was recorded. But by her clocking out the employees and making them work, it is clearly a violation of their rights. I was also forced to work six and a half without any coverage or breaks. It is also against company policy to leave an associate alone in the store more than six hours due to LP issues. I'm allowed an hour break after eight hours of work and was only given thirty min. and then asked to leave. I'm not getting my legally alloted breaks and there is the uncounted overtime as well. I need to know how about to make a complaint and if I have to take legal action. If I call corporate and they confront either her or my district manager, I need to know if I am protected from one: being fired, and Two: being harrased in the workplace for my complaint. Thank you.

This is clearly illegal practice and you should be compensated for the time you worked off the clock. If you want a investigation done on this matter so that you can be compensated for the time then you should contact the state in which you live. On another hand if you are not to worried about the past and want to make sure that it does not happen again you should find out if your company has a anonymous number employees can call when they find wrong doing in the work place (most larger companies have something like this in place). If these options do not work you may try the human resources department or even loss prevention, explain that you do not want to give you name and if something is not done to look into the situation then you will be forced to report the company to the state. This should scare the company enough to get some kind of ball rolling.

If you e-mail me the state and company name I can try to get you some more information that might better help. Good luck!

Your company is a major company on the New York stock exchange.

The issue you have is in the 'Ethics Code' under Treatment of Associates and Associate conduct.

You can call the Human Recourses Department at 1-817-424-2000
or
The Confidential Whistle blower Hotline at 1-800-306-9330 these numbers are both to your employer

If you wish to contact the CA State Labor Commissioner 455 Golden Gate Ave 9th floor San Francisco, Ca. 94102 @ 415-703-4810

or

US government @ 1-866-4-USWAGE
US department of Labor @ 1-866-4-USA-DOL

can they fire me if I threaten to tell the state? I do have some write ups, can they use anything they have to constitute grounds for termination?

Directly they cannot fire you for letting them know that a manager is breaking labor laws. If the manager in fact finds out that who got him in trouble you may have problems with that manager and he may try to "find" a way to get rid of you. It will be a hard decision to make because you may end up without a job and need an attorney to get you compensation for the hours you did work and then for wrongful termination. On the other hand with any good employer they will be happy that you let them know the situation because they do not want to end up on court. Here is a problem the company faces- even if you volunteer to work with the store manager extra hours with no pay- what happens if the store gets robbed (and you get killed), or you get injured at the work place while working without pay? The company will be facing a major lawsuit that they do not want.

GOOD LUCK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back