getting fired and maybe arrested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

californiagirl

okay so here is what happened. I have worked at (a pet store) for close to two years. sometimes we give out coupons on receipts and sometimes customers throw them away (im betting you can tell where this is going) yes I took a few of them. no I don't know how many. they were all worth three dollars. so I get called to the office and asked how many I took. I honestly have no idea. so I said between fifteen and 20 coupons. they never told me the exact number and told me to pick a number. I picked 17, not because that is how many I took but because it was literally between the number 15 and 20. so that came to 51 dollars. they said I had to pay that back and I was fired. okay. I can do that. there was no officer called in, never saw a cop, nothing like that. got my purse out of my locker, clocked out and left. had to confess to what I did in writing, again no cops, just two hr people, and that I would pay the amount back. I was told that because of the amount I would not be prosecuted or taken to court since it wasn't like I was stealing thousands of dollars (their words exactly, not mine) yes it was stupid. I was working two jobs at the time and since being fired I am now down to one. anyway my question is, even if there was no cop, no finger printing no nothing like that and even though they said there would be no prosecution for an amount that small, can they and would they still have me arrested by sending a cop to my apartment or other job? or if they were going to arrest me or charge me would they have done it then?

Last edited by a moderator:
They can, in that there is no law that prevents it. However, from what you have said there is no reason to think that they will.

in truth I cant imagine them paying to have it all brought to court, having a cop come out to my house, take me in, do all the questioning and go through the process. I know it was stupid. im just scare that every car I hear go by is the cops saying we are arresting you for stealing these. though I imagine the cost of taking me to court has to be more than 50 bucks and ive already mailed the check in to pay for it. im just scared. though I think if they were going to they would have done so while I was in the store an not wait for me to go home. when my brother stole a pack of playing cards when he was 13 from a gas station they called it in, maybe cause he was a minor. im just super scared and have never done something like this and I know why I did it but im still scared. since there was no cops there at all I have hope, yes? I learned my lesson, never again

If you're looking for someone to give you a definite yes, they are absolutely going to have you arrested or no, once they sent you home they are forever blocked from having you arrested, I'm afraid we can't do that. We do not have a crystal ball to say what they will do. It IS legally possible that they will press criminal charges against you. I agree that it is unlikely that they will but I'm not able to read the future or read minds. So if that means you're going to be scared every time a car goes by, then I'm sorry but I guess you're just going to have to be scared.

what are the chances that after receiving the money for the coupons and sending me home without the presence of police that they would take the time and money to proceed with criminal charges, would I be made to pay for their costs and what should be my next step?

One more try.

There is very little chance that after receiving the money for the coupons and sending you home without the presence of police that they would take the time and money to proceed with criminal charges.

Okay?

okay I was just really really scared. I don't mind losing the job, but I haven't stolen anything since I was like 5 or 6 and my ma busted my butt for it. I will try to relax and take it one step at a time

okay I was just really really scared. I don't mind losing the job, but I haven't stolen anything since I was like 5 or 6 and my ma busted my butt for it. I will try to relax and take it one step at a time

Remember what is revealed in this video.

It applies in all situations, and also for all seeking to question you.

Just don't talk, and don't admit to anything.

Better yet, NEVER do anything illegal, immoral, or likely to cause you trouble, then blabbing won't matter; if you're not on the hot seat!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtIizXdh88

Last edited:
For a second "opinion" - agree with cbg that it is not likely the police will get involved in your situation but there is no way we can say for sure. Sorry, that's the best we can tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back