Getting a state ID card from NJ dropping my maternal last name

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Is it possible to get a NJ state ID that shows only one last name?. Example: my drivers license has my name as Alvaro Rotondaro-Casal which is weird since I'm a man. I want to just have the document read Alvaro Rotondaro.

It is not at all unusual in the Hispanic culture. I have seen countless ID's of men with both last names. Completely normal.
If it is your first time applying for the IF I would not expect you to have any trouble. If this is an existing ID and you want to remove a name from it there could be difficulties.
Your best answer will come from the agency that issues the ID.

Is it possible to get a NJ state ID that shows only one last name?

I'm confident that 95%+ of the IDs issued in NJ (and every other state) list only one last name (mine certainly does). Why would you think it might not be possible?

my name as Alvaro Rotondaro-Casal which is weird since I'm a man.

"Weird" is in the eye of the beholder. However, since you're apparently Hispanic, it's completely normal. It is common for a Hispanic man's legal name to be "[given name] [father's family name] [mother's family name]" (although the dash between the two names is not common).

I want to just have the document read Alvaro Rotondaro.

They you'll probably need to go to court and have your legal name changed.

Is it possible to get a NJ state ID that shows only one last name?

There are four requirements for 6 Point ID Verification as regards a NJ state issued ID Card:

At least one Primary ID.
At least one Secondary ID.
Verifiable Social Security Number.
Proof of Address.

New Jersey residents 14 years of age and older may apply for a non-driver photo identification (ID). The non-driver ID is issued solely for the purpose of providing identification and is not a license to drive.

If customers have driver's licenses from another state they are not eligible for a non-driver ID card.

Customers that are suspended can downgrade to non-driver ID Card until their suspension is resolved. Customers can visit a motor vehicle agency with 6 Points of ID and fill out a Non-driver ID Application (Form BA-207 available at motor vehicle agencies or by mail). Customers may also call the MVC's Customer Support Line at 609-292-6500 weekdays (except holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. to request an application.

The fee for renewal of the non-driver ID card is $24, the fee for a duplicate or lost ID card is $11.

Obtaining a non-driver identification card
Visit a motor vehicle agency to complete the Non-driver ID Application (Form BA-207 available only at motor vehicle agencies NJ MVC | Agency Services
);
or request a form through the mail by calling the MVC's Customer Support Line at 609-292-6500 weekdays (except holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. to request an application.
Complete the front side of the form.
Pass the 6 Points of ID requirements.
Pay the $24 fee. For your convenience, the MVC accepts American Express® card, MasterCard® card, Visa® card, checks, money orders and cash.

We are required to capture a customer's full face when taking a picture for a driver license or non-driver ID card; therefore we need to be able to see from the top of your forehead to the bottom of your chin. If you have a medical or religious need to wear a head covering in your photo, please advise the MVC staff at the agency camera station.

NJ MVC | Identification Card

I'm confident that 95%+ of the IDs issued in NJ (and every other state) list only one last name (mine certainly does). Why would you think it might not be possible?

"Weird" is in the eye of the beholder. However, since you're apparently Hispanic, it's completely normal. It is common for a Hispanic man's legal name to be "[given name] [father's family name] [mother's family name]" (although the dash between the two names is not common).

They you'll probably need to go to court and have your legal name changed.
I need a document issued by the state or federal that shows only first and last name that is all. I was hoping someone was better able to help. I'll go to my local DVM and see if I could get a state ID with only first name and last name. But thanks anyway for taking the time to attempt to reply to my question.

Going to the source is always the best place for information.

I was hoping someone was better able to help.

Well...there's nothing that anonymous strangers on an internet message board can do for you other than provide information. Whether the DMV will give you an ID that only has your father's family name on it is, at the end of the day, entirely up to the DMV, and no one here can influence that. If the DMV won't do that, then you can seek a court ordered name change (which is a relatively simple and inexpensive process) and then try again with the DMV. Not really sure what you expected beyond that.

I need a document issued by the state or federal that shows only first and last name that is all

Your need seems unusual.

Why do I say that?

You can easily go to court in NJ (or any other US state) and LEGALLY change your name from Robert Alfred Johnson-Jones to Sweet Chocolate Mann or Bumpy Roads or El presidente de los Estados Unidos de América by filing a petition before the most honorable court.

The court charges a small fee to file your name change petition.
The fees vary from state to state.
For example, the filing fee is currently $150 in Massachusetts, $200 in New Jersey and $435 in California.

Read on, mate:

Name Change | TotalLegal

https://www.njcourts.gov/forms/10551_namechg_adult.pdf

Name Change - Legally Change Your Name Online | LegalZoom

How to Change Your Name in New Jersey

Good luck with whatever floats your boat.

I need a document issued by the state or federal that shows only first and last name that is all. I was hoping someone was better able to help. I'll go to my local DVM and see if I could get a state ID with only first name and last name. But thanks anyway for taking the time to attempt to reply to my question.

While I suggest you do contact the DMV, I'm willing to bet they will not issue an ID in what would actually be a false name.

What?, false name?. I would be willing to bet dropping my mother's last name will not constitute a false name.

He did not mean false in the sense of being fraudulent. Rather, the problem is that the license/ID card has to have your legal name on it, at least to be REAL ID compliant. (REAL ID is the federal standard for licenses/IDs that are acceptable to get you through airport security, into federal facilities like federal courthouses, etc). Your legal name currently is the name with your mother's last name in it. In order to get your legal name changed you generally have to do the official name change process through the courts. Once your legal name matches the name you wish to use, the DMV should accept that.

Back