Gender Discrimination against men

Ericka Murphy

New Member
My husband has been with a prominent pilot training company for almost three years. He's been repeatedly passed up for any promotions or even just recognition of merit. He has noticed that he gets treated differently because he's a man in an office of mostly women. The other women constantly pile work extra work on him to do and give him a hard time when he can't complete it all in one day. He has attempted to notify HR of this problem. The HR rep is also a woman and told him, "Well if you aren't happy here, maybe this isn't the right job for you anymore." Real helpful.

He also attempted to address it with a branch manager, a male, but he told my husband to "be a man and stay in your lane. Just deal with it." Also real helpful...

Recently, some people got moved around in the programs, and a woman we're friends with took over his position. He's noticed that she has been stressed out over the work load and new tasks, but all the women of that program are being very sympathetic and helping her whenever she needs while he is now having the same issues in this new program.

We are trying to search for a new job, but it's difficult finding them. We're not really sure what to do now. Please help.

P.S. The woman who took his position is making more money than he is. AND another girl was just re-hired as a Level 2 because she's friends with another supervisor, but does not do the same amount of work as my husband. Their excuse of him not getting any pay raise is because of a hiring freeze right now due to the pandemic...but yet they just re-hired someone???
Sex discrimination by an employer with at least 15 employees is a violation of federal law. He may make a complaint about it with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Comission (EEOC). That must be done within 300 days of the act of discrimination. It is also illegal under Missouri law regardless of the number of employees. He may also make a complaint about that with Missouri Commission on Human Rights (MCHR). That complaint is due within 180 days of the discriminating act.

If the EEOC and MCHR are unable to successfully resolve the complaint through mediation and elect not to litigate the case themselves your husband would get a right to sue letter allowing him to sue the employer for the discrimination.

I'd recommend he first see an attorney who litigates employment discrimination cases before filing the complaints because what he says in the complaints will have a significant impact on how the rest of the case proceeds.

Note that proving sex discrimination is often not very easy. The employer will offer up one or more nondiscriminatory reasons for why your husband was treated as he was, and to win your husband would have to convince the jury that those reasons are just smokescreens and that the real reason is sex discrimination.
Thank you for the links. I am just looking for advice on the this forum. I do understand that I cannot take any action, nor do I plan to. Thank you.