Garnishment of property

Kavi

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Can I file motion for garnishment of my ex's property? My ex has to give $150K as per the court order. As per the court order a house in MD has to be listed for sale and share equally. But it is not sold yet. Can I file a motion to garnish his share of property? If yes, what is the procedure? How long does it take? Do I get 100% from his share?

As per my ex, the tenant who vacated the property has not paid the rent. He is asking me to pay half of it. I am not part of the rental agreement and he hired a property manager and not providing property management contract when I ask for it. Can I take legal action on both?

Please help me.

Can I file a motion to garnish his share of property?

You can file any motion that the court will accepts.

Filing a motion doesn't mean your motion will be granted.

If yes, what is the procedure?

If you filed such a motion, it would more than likely be a waste of time, and more disappointment as nothing would come of it.

How long does it take?

If you search the internet you'll learn that very few of these orders ever achieve anything.

As per my ex, the tenant who vacated the property has not paid the rent. He is asking me to pay half of it.

He can ask anything, but you'd be very foolish to give him any money when he allegedly owes you $150K.

You could, if you wish, tell him to take the rent out of the $150K he owes you.

Again, don't expect any money because its likely never going to happen.

Can I take legal action on both?

You're free to take any action you wish.

I advise clients in your predicament to simply get along with bettering their lives and be glad they got rid of a deadbeat, unless you enjoy chasing the Leprechaun's hidden pot of gold or playing Pokemon Go!

Please help me.

You can discuss this with a couple local family law attorneys in your county.

Bottom line, most people in your position collect a few dollars over the years, but rarely do they see the entire amount.

The good news, you've freed yourself of a bum.

His share of sale proceedings will be around $50k. If I file a motion for garnishment or enforce the order, can I get his 50% of share towards $150K. It all depends on judge and other lawyer. But are there any chnaces of getting as he has share in the sale proceedings of the joint property.

If you filed such a motion, it would more than likely be a waste of time, and more disappointment as nothing would come of it.

If you search the internet you'll learn that very few of these orders ever achieve anything.

He can ask anything, but you'd be very foolish to give him any money when he allegedly owes you $150K.

I advise clients in your predicament to simply get along with bettering their lives and be glad they got rid of a deadbeat, unless you enjoy chasing the Leprechaun's hidden pot of gold or playing Pokemon Go!

Bottom line, most people in your position collect a few dollars over the years, but rarely do they see the entire amount.

Can I file motion for garnishment of my ex's property? . . . Can I file a motion to garnish his share of property?

Yes, you can file any motion you like. However, such a motion would not appear to be the appropriate motion to make under the circumstances you described. I'm guessing some non attorney told you that such a thing as a "motion for garnishment" exists, and you've latched onto that without really understanding it.

If yes, what is the procedure? How long does it take?

Only a Maryland family law attorney who practices in the county where your case is pending will be able to answer these questions intelligently.

As per my ex, the tenant who vacated the property has not paid the rent. He is asking me to pay half of it. I am not part of the rental agreement and he hired a property manager and not providing property management contract when I ask for it. Can I take legal action on both?

I'm not sure I'm following this. I think what you're saying is that you and your ex jointly own a residence that the court, in your divorce decree, has ordered sold. The property in question had a tenant who moved out with unpaid rent owing. You were apparently not a party to the lease. What does "take legal action on both" mean?

Please help me.

I'm not sure what sort of "help" you think folks on an internet message board can provide, but you need to speak with a local family law attorney about how best to compel compliance with the divorce decree.

Back