Former employer removed funds from 401K after lay off

Status
Not open for further replies.

GR60

Jurisdiction
New York
In January 2023 I was layed off from my job where I've been employed for 8.5 years in an executive sales role. I signed a severance agreement and have started to move on with my career. One month after my final day the company removed $17,000 in employee contributed funds and nearly $3,000 in matching funds from my 401K without telling me.

I called Fidelity and they said they had no idea why the funds were removed but that the employer had removed them.

I emailed the CFO to ask why the funds were removed and an HR person followed up to schedule a zoom call to explain.

On the call they told me that in August a previous HR person who's no longer at the company had uploaded the wrong files or numbers (they couldn't tell me which) to the company 401K platform at Fidelity and because the numbers were off the contributions from August to December 2022 were 2X more than they should have been. So both the employee contribution figure and the matching figure were more than what should have been contributed based on my elected percentage. They described the extra funds as 'gifted' and did not rightfully belong to me. This had happened to everyone who participated in the 401K plan at the company.

They did not say when they caught the error but I'm assuming it was after I was layed off. They said they spoke to Fidelity about the issue and that Fidelity recommended clawing back the funds from employee's 401K accounts and Fidelity executed the clawback transactions.

I told them I had spoken to Fidelity and the people I spoke to had no knowledge of recommending the claw back strategy or executing the transactions. I asked the CFO to put me in touch with the Fidelity representative who recommended the clawback and she said she would set up a call. That was 2 weeks ago.

My primary questions are:
Can a company remove funds from a former employee's 401K even if the funds may have been contributed by mistake of the company and not the employee? Do I have any legal recourse to get these funds back?

Thank you for any advice you can provide. This 401K issue has added even more stress and worry to an already bad situation.

In January 2023 I was layed off from my job where I've been employed for 8.5 years in an executive sales role. I signed a severance agreement and have started to move on with my career. One month after my final day the company removed $17,000 in employee contributed funds and nearly $3,000 in matching funds from my 401K without telling me.

I called Fidelity and they said they had no idea why the funds were removed but that the employer had removed them.

I emailed the CFO to ask why the funds were removed and an HR person followed up to schedule a zoom call to explain.

On the call they told me that in August a previous HR person who's no longer at the company had uploaded the wrong files or numbers (they couldn't tell me which) to the company 401K platform at Fidelity and because the numbers were off the contributions from August to December 2022 were 2X more than they should have been. So both the employee contribution figure and the matching figure were more than what should have been contributed based on my elected percentage. They described the extra funds as 'gifted' and did not rightfully belong to me. This had happened to everyone who participated in the 401K plan at the company.

They did not say when they caught the error but I'm assuming it was after I was layed off. They said they spoke to Fidelity about the issue and that Fidelity recommended clawing back the funds from employee's 401K accounts and Fidelity executed the clawback transactions.

I told them I had spoken to Fidelity and the people I spoke to had no knowledge of recommending the claw back strategy or executing the transactions. I asked the CFO to put me in touch with the Fidelity representative who recommended the clawback and she said she would set up a call. That was 2 weeks ago.

Can a company remove funds from a former employee's 401K even if the funds may have been contributed by mistake of the company and not the employee? Do I have any legal recourse to get these funds back?

Thank you for any advice you can provide. This 401K issue has added even more stress and worry to an already bad situation.

I'm going to tag @cbg to assist you.

But to be clear: You want to know if the company can take back money that should never have been deposited in the first place and if their error then gives you a legal right to keep the mistakenly deposited funds...Am I understanding you correctly?

Can a company remove funds from a former employee's 401K even if the funds may have been contributed by mistake of the company and not the employee?

Yes, they can. Just like if a bank makes an error and deposits money into your account. It isn't YOUR money.

Do I have any legal recourse to get these funds back?

No, again it isn't and never was YOUR money. Why do you think you have any claim on it?

Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers is a rhyme for kids, not the law.

Last edited:
I'm going to tag @cbg to assist you.

But to be clear: You want to know if the company can take back money that should never have been deposited in the first place and if their error then gives you a legal right to keep the mistakenly deposited funds...Am I understanding you correctly?

Yes that is correct.

Yes, they can. Just like if a bank makes an error and deposits money into your account. It isn't YOUR money.

No, again it isn't and never was YOUR money. Why do you think you have any claim on it?

Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers is a rhyme for kids, not the law.

Thanks for your input.

I told them I had spoken to Fidelity and the people I spoke to had no knowledge of recommending the claw back strategy or executing the transactions.
The people you spoke to were on the lowest wrung of the ladder. I am not surprised they weren't aware.

Sorry to hear about your layoff, but good on you for moving on with your career. That's the spirit! As for your 401K issue, that's definitely not cool. I'm not sure about the legality of it, but it seems pretty shady for the company to just take back the funds without any warning or explanation. It's good that you're trying to get in touch with the Fidelity representative to get some more info. Hopefully, they can shed some light on the situation and help you get your funds back.

Sorry to hear about your layoff, but good on you for moving on with your career. That's the spirit! As for your 401K issue, that's definitely not cool. I'm not sure about the legality of it, but it seems pretty shady for the company to just take back the funds without any warning or explanation. It's good that you're trying to get in touch with the Fidelity representative to get some more info. Hopefully, they can shed some light on the situation and help you get your funds back.
Please stop. The funds were never the OP's in the first place.

They said they spoke to Fidelity about the issue and that Fidelity recommended clawing back the funds from employee's 401K accounts and Fidelity executed the clawback transactions.

I told them I had spoken to Fidelity and the people I spoke to had no knowledge of recommending the claw back strategy or executing the transactions.

You aren't going to be speaking to the same level of person as an employee as the employer as the plan sponsor.

You need to check your paycheck stub deferrals for that time period against the contributions in the transaction activity at Fidelity to know for sure if they were double contributed.

Yes, employers are allowed to correct mistakes going both ways. Most likely they would have to keep the $s in the plan in a forfeiture/suspense account and use them for future owed contributions rather than getting a $ refund to them.

You might ask at benefitslink.com's forums as there are a lot of 401k heavy hitters out there.

But if this money wasn't rightfully yours, yes, they can recover it and if they hadn't they could have taxed you separately on it (and mostly likely you would have been double taxed at withdrawal time).

I don't have the specific 401k Internal Revenue Code, but if what they said happened (double postings), that is a mistake they can correct.

here's just one article about it that i found quickly (I am unrelated to that website): Guideline Help Center. And here is one specifically about "mistake in fact" : Guideline Help Center.

The person who answers the phone at Fidelity is not necessarily aware of all the ins and outs going on several rungs above the ladder from them. Because the call center rep didn't know the answer doesn't mean no one at Fidelity does. I speak from experience both with Fidelity and as a benefits call center rep.

Concur with the other answers. If the money was contributed in error, you do not have a legal right to keep it. Your employment status at the time the error was discovered does not give you greater rights than an active employee, and you don't get to keep money you are not entitled to just because it was not your mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back