Former employer bad mouthed me to landlord

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Last year I had a confrontation with a former landlord who was on meth, he charged at me with a knife and only stopped after I pulled my gun. He recorded this and I was arrested I was in jail for less than 24 hrs and all charges were dismissed. While I was in jail I received very little care for my diabetes which caused a reaction that sent me to the er after release. I had a stroke while I was in the hospital while there I was contacted by my employer to let me know I was fired. Apparently my former landlord called them and told them I was arrested for trying to shoot him. Before I went to jail I had already moved. Somehow my employer got a hold of my new landlord paid rent for 1 month as part of a severance, however he apparently spoke horrible things about me all lies.

When I was finally released a month later I went home, and immediately my landlord confronts me and tells me he wants to switch from a signed 1 year lease to a month to month, I 5old him no I intend to finish the lease so he started to threaten me with taking me to court for a dog he has approved, then started telling me he didn't feel comfortable living next to someone who wasn't vaccinated, something I never told him, but my employer knew. I told him I already had covid and that cdc said I was protected as much as he was so he then told me he wanted me to leave because my rv was longer than he thought, he was told how long it was and had no problem when I moved in. At this point I told him I need to go in as I could barely walked so I started walking away, at which point he said he was gonna turn my electricity off. So I told him fine I'll just call police. Long story shortened this goes on with him threatening me for weeks including taking off gate so I couldn't let dog out and had to walk my dog while being constantly pulled down as I was still using a cane.he also raises rent 1 month into lease and would not accept original amount, he then proceeded to evict me.

At thus point I'm served with paperwork with a notice, in the notice is the disclosure, part of that was a scathing letter from my for employer telling him I'm a horrible person who carries a gun and all these other horrible things. At the end of the letter he tells my landlord to start legal proceedings and evict me.

I had worked for this company for 8 years I bent over backwards doing my job and 6 other positions on top of avionics which is what I was hired for including designing and publishing our company website for no extra compensation. I got calls on birthdays and holidays and just randomly to say thanks and how much they appreciated me and all that I do.

I don't know what happened that they turned on me but they made my life living hell after they terminated me. Is there any legal case that I could bring against my former employer or am I pretty much hosed. Because of what was going on with harassment from landlord after I had my stroke I was moments away from suicide for 2 months while my landlord made my life hell. I had plans to take bottles of insulin and other ways that would be quicker.

I agree, you need to see a civil litigation attorney. You might have a claim worth pursuing against your former employer for defamation and your landlord for violating the terms of your one year lease. But you need to sit down with a lawyer and explain what happened and what evidence you have to back it. The lawyer will then tell you what he/she thinks the chances of a successful lawsuit would be.

Back