Forgiven HELOC- changes the equitable division of property?

Timeswastin

Went through divorce in 2009, judge awarded me the marital home(with the mortgage and a 57,000.HELOC we had used to buy vacant land). Awarded her the cabin and various property, as well as alimony for 4 years. The vacant land was to be sold and the proceeds were to first pay off my HELOC, then the remainder to be split. Well bank notified me they have forgiven the HELOC. Now the vacant land has gotten an offer, for a menial $65,000. If sold, now that there technically is no HELOC to be paid off, will she get half of the entire sale price? It seems as the judge used that 57,000 as part of the equation when dividing the assets- so how can it be equitable now for her to have gained on me having my debt forgiven? Will I need a lawyer to go back and clarify this with the court, or is there anything that can even be done to try to bring fairness to a seemingly unfair "equitable split?"

Went through divorce in 2009, judge awarded me the marital home(with the mortgage and a 57,000.HELOC we had used to buy vacant land). Awarded her the cabin and various property, as well as alimony for 4 years. The vacant land was to be sold and the proceeds were to first pay off my HELOC, then the remainder to be split. Well bank notified me they have forgiven the HELOC. Now the vacant land has gotten an offer, for a menial $65,000. If sold, now that there technically is no HELOC to be paid off, will she get half of the entire sale price? It seems as the judge used that 57,000 as part of the equation when dividing the assets- so how can it be equitable now for her to have gained on me having my debt forgiven? Will I need a lawyer to go back and clarify this with the court, or is there anything that can even be done to try to bring fairness to a seemingly unfair "equitable split?"

What can be done won't be accomplished by a bunch of little strangers discussing legal principles ANONYMOUSLY on the webz.

Your remedy, if one exists, is in that same courtroom before that same judge.

You need to hire a lawyer and see what he or she suggests.

Back