Forced to Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcorme

I work for a software company. I am a customer facing support person. Lately I was told it is manditory that i post to a company created forum. Is it legal for them to force me to post to a company community forum.

thank you

Law in this area is still developing, so this may change.

But as things stand right now, yes, it is legal. And as long as we are talking about it being a company created forum, I wouldn't anticipate seeing it change anytime some.

Sure. They own the job, they get to define the job duties. If you don't like the job, you are free to quit. :yes:

thank you both for your reply - i was hoping it would be a personal freedom type issue - reversed Facebook scenario

I work for a software company. I am a customer facing support person. Lately I was told it is manditory that i post to a company created forum. Is it legal for them to force me to post to a company community forum.

thank you

What is the nature of the posts you are being ordered to author and post?
Those who post, are they allowed to do so using an "assumed" name, thereby protecting their true identity?
These posts one must create, are you only required to do so during the time you are on duty?
Do you primarily respond to customer queries on this site?

That is to say, Jane Joker asks why the Slimeware she purchased from Slime Software slimed up her new Jammer Jack Tablet, and wants Slime Software to reimburse her for buying a new Jammer Jack Tablet.

Are those the types of interactions you address daily?

Last edited:
They want me to post something related to the calls I answer - Like do you back up your software - here's how
No we were required to use our real names
We are currently being told to post one comment before the end of the month - while on duty
I do not currently respond to any queries on the site - my belief is that they think i will work on the site while taking calls - I take great pride in my responses to my customers and do not want any distractions from helping customers.
I will not be selling anything on the site either -

They want me to post something related to the calls I answer - Like do you back up your software - here's how
No we were required to use our real names
We are currently being told to post one comment before the end of the month - while on duty
I do not currently respond to any queries on the site - my belief is that they think i will work on the site while taking calls - I take great pride in my responses to my customers and do not want any distractions from helping customers.
I will not be selling anything on the site either -

I'm sure you're required to note or document your call.
I'd avoid trouble and simply use a shortened version of such documentation.
I'd request to be allowed to use a pseudonym when posting, a cute nickname, or an operator or agent number.
Some battles aren't worth fighting.

So they want you to write out some FAQs to keep some of the call volume down? I don't see how that would be a problem.

There is absolutely nothing whatsoever illegal about what they are asking you to do. They may legally fire you if you refuse. Since it is a lawful and reasonable request that they have made a regular duty, if you are fired for refusing I'd place your chances at receiving unemployment at somewhere between slim and none.

I work in a call center too. If you can't find the time to post one post a month without it distracting you from your callers, you're doing something wrong.

thank you all again for the responses - I believed I really had nothing to stand o - and I always try to pick my battles. So I will let this one be.

Yep, let this one be - based on what you posted, your employer is not asking you to do anything illegal. Your employer makes the rules & if you don't follow them, you can be disciplined up to & including termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back